Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Snow Days


Four or five inches of snow and really cold temperatures insured a snow day for us today. Yesterday was frigid for our students commuting the block or so between classrooms, crossing busy streets and walking beside an old highway. Four modulars (8 classrooms) didn't have water in our bathrooms yesterday. (This was the second time this has happened so far this year.) So we were running to a nearby building to use the facilities. There is nothing fun about going to school in this kind of weather for our students. The ones who have them wear insulated coveralls, hunting jackets, and hats with ear flaps. And yet, I have other students who wear two layers of sweatshirts because they don't have warm winter coats. When the temperature was 1 degree at the start of the day with 20-30 mph wind gusts, the students were pretty miserable. Since our doors have no clearance above our decks, even a little snowfall is going to be a problem. Our decks are slick in the rain and frost, so my guess is that the snow will cause that many more slips and falls. Yes, we might be one of the only schools in the state who are out today, but it shows a little common sense and concern for our students and staff alike.

I loved snow days when the girls were little. We baked and wrapped and watched old movies together. And today I plan to bake and watch Christmas movies. I owe one of my classes some holiday treats for bringing in a lot of money in a charity drive CHS sponsors for needy families. (I'm hoping some of my students without coats, gloves, hats, and scarves are recipients.) The snow is really pretty coming down, and I just heard the city crew running the snow blade down our street.

I didn't really need a snow day this week. My classes have one more Act of Julius Caesar to read before reviews and finals. Now we will have to finish the play, spend less time reviewing, and still take the finals. Any more disruptions because of weather and... well, I guess flexibility and/or improvising is part of the job requirements. I'll jump off that bridge (or over that snow drift) when I get to it.

In the meantime, the snow sure makes it seem like the holiday season. It is hard to complain about a snow day. They seem like a gift...and one not to be wasted!


3 comments:

A said...

I'm COMPLETELY jealous of your snow day!! We had snow falling off and on today, but of course, it didn't stick. Even if it did, I'd probably end up hating it since I have to walk in it to and from work! I hear that NYC doesn't often close schools due to snow... but a lot of parents in our neighborhood keep kids home. (so smaller class-size might be ok for a day :) Hope you enjoyed it!

CMwhyK said...

I HAVE TONS OF SCARFS FOR SOME REASON IF YOU THINK IT WOULD HELP I COULD MAIL THEM TO YOU. SOME OF THEM ARE RATHER GIRLY THOU HEHE

CMwhyK said...

yeah just give me an address to send them to. Im always looking to give to a charity that is directly involved.