Monday, March 9, 2009

A Poem As Lovely As A Tree

The buzz of chainsaws has been a normal part of life in this small town since the tornado hit. New homes are going up on the empty lots where houses once stood. But the trees--well, it will take years for them to recover. I like trees. I just never knew how much until they were ripped out of the ground. Trees that were 70-100 years old just can't be replaced in a year or two. I took some pictures yesterday of what we lost.

Poor beautiful old trees.

I'll post pictures of the trees at the river and show you the progress of cleanup at the creek later this week. And then, I'll show you what the remaining trees look like this spring.

This last picture here is of "Witches Hollow," an area the children of our town have haunted for years. They loved the ravine with many trees for their adventures. It looks like there is a lot of work to do here, before playing can begin again.

No comments: