I don't remember this but am told that one Easter Sunday when I was pretty little, I went forward to the children's sermon. The minister spent some time complimenting us on how beautiful we all looked. He asked if we were wearing anything new. I proceeded to tell him that I had a new dress, new shoes, and then... (yep, you know where this is going!) I lifted my skirt and said, "New panties, too." Show and tell, I guess. My mother was mortified!
Childhood memories of Easter:
- Sunrise services with a rugged cross, either on a hill near town or in the city park
- Rabbit cookies (sugar cookies iced in pastel frosting)
- Easter baskets, usually a cereal bowl with that green plastic grass and lots of candy
- Hot Cross Buns
- Dyeing eggs in coffee cups and then using a soft cloth to rub a bit of oil on them so they'd be shiny
- Jelly beans, malted robin eggs, and those super sugary marshmallow creme egg things
- "Up from the grave He arose..."
- And my favorite Easter Hymn "Ivory Palaces"
- Watching "The Ten Commandments" every year
- My brothers always dyeing one ridiculously ugly egg by using all the colors
Picture: Easter Sunday 1960