Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Over the back fence

Yesterday's post was the view just across the side yard to the east of our house. Our house sits at the top of a small hill right on the edge of town. When we moved here 25 years ago, we were surrounded by pasture on two sides. Now, there is only pasture out our back door. Yes, that is a bat house on the tree in our backyard. We used to have an old barn just across the drive. When they tore it down, the bats migrated our way. Ugh! (Although my dad keeps telling me they keep the mosquito population down, I'd gladly give those lovely bats away!)
The back pasture once had horses, which the girls fed carrots and chocolate chips over the fence. (Are chocolate chips good for horses? I doubt it. They didn't ask before they fed!) It was also home to miniature goats which scared them to death. The farmer loaned us a bit of ground, so we had a pen for the bucket calves that Grandpa gave the girls to raise. They got to have the fun of being small town, country girls. Now our idyllic back pasture is home to that little trail you see. So pretty isn't it? Except the grand kids of the farmer who owns the pasture, use if for a dirt bike and 4-wheeler track. Several hours every evening we get to listen to them ride. So much for idyllic! We've enjoyed a noiseless winter for the most part, but spring is here and so the rides begin again. If you see me at Home Depot shopping for carpenter's tacks, just assume that I am building something--not contemplating flattening a few tires on the trail! (I kid! I kid!) Rumors around this small town hint that a new housing development will someday be in that pasture. I think I'll take my motocross training trail to a backyard full of new homes. I love feeling like I'm in the country, even though I am in town-- the best of both worlds!

6 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh how I'd hate to see that be developed. I would love to live near that. You are blessed. Im glad you're in for Phase 3!

ELK said...

i am enjoying this series of shots here...
15 days left for this teacher...how about you?

Wendy said...

When I was a kid we had a lot more bats than we do now. We'd sit outside and watch them flutter around the street lights. So fascinating. I don't see bats where I live now (I live downtown). Even though it's a SMALL downtown, I guess it's too populated for them.

Thanks for letting me know about Small Town Snapshot Sunday. I've been missing your entries!! :)

A said...

love the view! i don't think i ever knew where you lived before... maybe that's a good thing, we were always up to no good in high school... and you could have been one of our victims if i'd known your home location. (harmless fun, of course.)

the horses sparked a memory... i vaguely remember feeding carrots to horses behind the house ben and i lived in as little ones... i'll have to ask my mom about it!

as much as i'm unsure how i'd function without my city lately, i do miss these kinds of peaceful views...

Hit 40 said...

Adorable blog. I like that you also post all of your own pics. Very nice. I like the photo of you and the hubby at the bottom the best. Cute couple.

Mrs. E said...

Aw...thanks Hit 40!