Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Year 2- Fairly Well Adjusted

You only have to look around our high school to see that our students learned a lot last year, and only some of it had to do with the 3 R's. Today, I'm looking at their feet. When our kids go to classrooms in trailers spread out over parts of three blocks, comfort takes precedence over everything else.

Students quickly learned that when you are walking approximately a half mile a day to get to classes, you better be wearing comfortable shoes. The "cute" heels and dressy shoes are out. Most students don tennis shoes or flip flops. This sophomore's feet just made me happy!Rain showers add a new dimension. Since they are better prepared this year, the showers haven't dampened spirits. There is less complaining, and they just seem to take it in stride. One girl told me that she hoped it rained soon, as she had a leopard print umbrella that she couldn't wait to use.
On rainy days, the cheerleaders don't want to get their new cheer shoes wet, so they don flip flops with their uniforms. They may not be in the traditional uniform, but a lot of traditions have undergone a change around here.
A lot of students purchased rain/snow boots over the summer. There are some darling ones making their way around trailer school.


Who would think that rain boots would be one of the cutest fashion accessories of Fall '09?
.
Our kids are so adaptable. One boy remarked that he never wanted to go to school in a building again. He likes going outside between every class and hiking across the campus. He thinks a regular school would be boring. My thoughts: "Bite your tongue, son!" That, and "We'll talk again when the windchills hit -5."

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Love these boots and Fash would love 'em too! I'm with the kid who wants to get outside and walk between classes. Though I might change my tune in the 5* weather

Glad your year is running smoothly so far. Don't know how you manage to keep up with the blogs with all you do in the teaching world.

Gayle said...

mrs. e, I think it must be so cool for your students to have a teacher that takes photos of their footwear! Do they know you blog?

Our middle school had some portable classrooms when my oldest son and my middle daughter were each in 6th grade. They both had classes in them and loved going out of the main building to the portables! Even in rain and snow!

CMwhyK said...

I THINK IM LOSING MY MIND I REMEMBER READING THIS POST DAYS AGO BUT IT SAY YOU JUST POSTED IT. HEHE ANYWAYS LOVE ALL THE CUTE BOOTS BUT IM A BIT FAVORABLE TO THE CHUCKS MYSELF BEING ALL I WEAR

joyce said...

Okay..how often can we point out a teacher's writing mistake? The students "don" flip-flops..not "dawn". Hee-hee!!
Anyways...I just love those fancy rainboots making their way up here to the boonies too. I can just see tennaged girls posing their feet while the teacher takes pictures, and giggling all day about it! But man, if my kids got to spend the whole winter at a minus 5 windchill.......okay,now that I looked it up I realize that's -20celcius, so that's a valid complaints, but its not unheard of here for the windchill to be -50, which is -58 in fahrenheit. But, anything over -32C, not counting the windfactor, and the schools are open but the busses don't run. Those cute rubbers wouldn't cut it!
Sorry..that was a bit of a ramble!

Mrs. E said...

Gayle- the kids don't know I blog, or at least most probably don't. I post pics for the alums to see on Facebook, so they are good sports to pose. Since the tornado, the alums like to know how life has changed at school. So CM, you aren't losing your mind! Well, probably not! : ) You saw my pics on FB.

Oh Joyce, check back again any time and you will find my errors. 2 Thinks Heidi is right, I am usually pushing it to post regularly. And I am horrified at what Facebook has done to my writing skills! But I'm edited now! (And our kids wear wooly socks, several pairs sometimes, under those boots in the winter.)

Pugelicious said...

Living in Australia - flip flops are my thing.

Puna said...

This is great! Love love love the boots!

Relyn Lawson said...

The plaid Wellies have my vote.