Monday, November 2, 2009

Ah, November...


November is...

raking leaves, bonfires, scraping frost, turkey and dressing, hunting season, cranberries, hot apple cider, cornucopias, college football, Macy's Day parade, Thanksgiving at the farm or at the Mr.'s cousins, bare trees, dark evenings, harvest moons, holiday decorating, Black Friday, scarves and gloves, K's birthday, soups, snuggling under the electric blanket, Santa's first visit of the season...

Feel free to add your own.

I love November. It must be the Puritan in me. It reminds me of these lines from Elinor Wylie's Puritan Sonnet:

I love the look, austere, immaculate,
Of landscapes drawn in pearly monotones.
There's something in my very bones that owns,
Bare hills, cold silver on a slate of gray...

Wylie was probably talking about the winter, but I've always associated this poem with the month of November: gray, bare, and cold.

As much as I love November, the time change always throws us off a bit. The darkness at 5:30 takes some getting used to. Hibernation comes to mind. Maybe by Thanksgiving we will have all the clocks in the house changed. Who knew a household could have so many darned clocks?

4 comments:

ELK said...

November is when our fall really begins...love this month except the time change!! Your moon peeking over the tree is stunning Mrs E...have a great Monday at school!!

Gayle said...

I love your moon shot!

joyce said...

I think November is my least favourite month...its only colour is steely gray, its a cold, windy, miserable prelude to winter.

Katie @ Can't Get There said...

I loooooove Harvest Moons. That's a great pic of one! I saw her watching over us while we were trick or treating and I'll admit to getting chills up my spine...