Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Fa La La La Frozen

This is the last week of school before our break. First semester has gone incredibly fast. It is hard for me to imagine that next year at this time we will be moving into our brand new school.

Trailer High has not been enjoying these frigid temperatures. The students are slightly frozen when they arrive. With all the door opening and closing at the beginning and end of every hour, it is hard to keep the classroom temperature warm enough for comfort.

In spite of the cold, the students are in really good spirits. They are dreading finals, but it isn't hard to look past them to that two week vacation. I'm just hoping they don't look too far past them and forget to study.

Here is what I am loving so far this December:

candlelight
fresh greenery
fruit loopers (recipe below)
hot tea
snow on the ground
the electric blanket
Christmas movies and specials
playing Christmas songs on the piano
a warm coat
the Blackberry (never thought I'd say that!)
ski socks
Christmas music
gifts of presence- tomorrow's post
peppermint sweets that melt in your mouth

Favorite Christmas movies: "A Christmas Story," "Christmas Vacation," "Love Actually," "The Holiday," "A Christmas Carol," "Christmas in Connecticut," "White Christmas," "Miracle on 34th Street," and my all-time favorite--"It's A Wonderful Life."

Favorite Christmas specials: Charlie Brown, The Grinch, Rudolph, and Frosty. Oh, and "Christmas in Washington."

Now, for the Fruit Loopers. These are the easiest candy/cookie to make and quite kid friendly. Little ones love them. They are so sweet that they are right up my alley!

Melt 6 squares of almond bark in the microwave.
When it is smooth, stir in Fruit Loops cereal- probably about 4 or 5 cups. (I've never measured.) Stir until the cereal is lightly coated in almond bark.
Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper.
Let cool.

That's it. These were a tradition at the Mr.'s house.
When I do my baking on the 23rd, I'll post some pictures of these and some other traditional goodies from Easy Street.

Yes, it is almost Christmas Vacation. Fa La La La La! I am having to work to keep my toes from tapping impatiently!

4 comments:

Relyn Lawson said...

YUM!! Sloane and I are going to have to try the Fruit Loopers. I have to say that I am a bit envious. We actually have to go to school through the 23rd. ICK!! Can you believe that? I have got to find a way to get on that calendar committee.

Hays Family 5 said...

I am very jealous of you--for a lot of reasons but mostly for getting to have a two week Christmas break. We have to go until the 23rd. Kids get to leave at 1 and we are currently awaiting the memo that lets us know what time we are dismissed. :)

Fruit loopers? Interesting. I wouldn't have thought to put those two ingredients together. I have those ingredients available in my pantry--my school kids would like to make that and eat them.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Katie @ Can't Get There said...

My kids are released on Friday for a two-week vacation and it just dawned on me today that I have to give the teachers their goodies on Friday - not next week when I'm baking! Whoops! So your post was very timely. :)

gayle said...

My kids have school on Monday, Tues., and Weds. next week. I really wish they had those days off!