The Birthday Challenge was to create a list of things to do in the coming year. So here it is--
52 things to do before I am 53. Created last March. Seems like I've got a bit of work to do!
1. Canoe or Kayak- just to say I tried it-NOPE (I have yet to be on a boat since the stoke)
2. Grow some vegetables along with some flowers- CHECK
3. Ride my bike from here to my mother-in-law's house (30 miles) NOPE
4. Hold a major garage sale- CHECK
5. Sell some things on Craigslist- CHECK, well gave away
6. Work at a bookstore or coffee shop this summer- CHECK- actually both
7. Own a laptop- CHECK
8. Rip up the carpet in my basement and put down some kind of flooring-NOPE
9. Organize my mess of a linen closet- CHECK
10. Read "The Pact"- NOPE
11. Take my husband to lunch one day a month- HOW ABOUT JUST OUT? CHECK
12. Invest in the stock market- NOPE
13. Have a summer party- NOPE
14. Host a Christmas Open House- NOPE
15. Go to a concert- CHECK-
16. See a Broadway Show on tour- KIND OF CHECK, summer theater musicals
17. Learn an art technique- (does enhancing pictures count?) CHECK
18. Go camping several times- CHECK
19. Have a girls weekend with HS friends- CHECK- a wonderful one!
20. Have a girls weekend with my daughters- NOPE, darn it!
21. Read a book a week this summer- CHECK- at least 1, sometimes more
22. Visit the farm more often- COULD DO BETTER
23. Get the piano tuned- CHECK
24. Memorize a couple of songs on the piano-NOPE (my memory stinks-but there is still time!)
25. Visit a new nature trail/hiking path- CHECK- new bike/hiking path
26. Write a letter to the editor- NOPE-
27. Break a bad habit (caffeine, too much TV, nail biting??) CHECK and then started again!
28. Redecorate my home "office"- NOPE- unless adding to the clutter counts
29. De-clutter my house- CHECK for the family room and living room
30. Teach a new novel to my classes- CHECK- starting this week
31. Hold sunset services every now and then- CHECK
32. Use the fire ring- CHECK (in conjunction with sunset services)
33. Plan a small group bike ride- CHECK, but we got rained out- rain check this spring
34. Take a Christmas trip to somewhere I have never been- NOPE, snowed in!!
35. Learn to make a mean salsa HALF CHECK- I learned to make salsa-working on the mean!
36. Pick and freeze cherries or peaches- NOPE, though I did freeze jalapenos
37. Visit the antique stores for inspiration- CHECK, several times
38. Pay off a vehicle- NOPE, getting closer!
39. Make a bundt cake- NOPE, but I now own a bundt pan!
40. Have a morning tea with my next-door neighbor- NOPE
41. Take in a movie once a month- CHECK
42. Do random acts of kindness for some of my students who really need it- CHECK
43. Re-learn how to play cribbage- NOPE, but I ran off the rules last week
44. Visit a B & B with the Mr.- NOPE, but we did spend time at a lake cottage
45. Enter a photo in the local county fair- NOPE
46. Find a consignment store somewhere in the area- CHECK
47. Walk to work more than I drive- about half the time CHECK
48. See a really great fireworks show- CHECK, though not on the 4th
49. Learn how to make bread- NOPE
50. Knit a hat that would actually fit a head!- NOPE
51. Update my itunes- CHECK several times
52. Take a yoga class- NOPE, but I do it on Wii
It's a good thing I still have 6 weeks left. I think I can check off a few more. And I'm starting on this year's list a couple of weeks early. I put last year's list together in about an hour and a half at the last minute. I'm giving it a bit more thought this year. (It would be so much easier, if I wasn't so darn old!)