Saturday, March 13, 2010

Saturday's List- Reasons to Love Spring Break

This week's list is reasons to love spring break:

10.  The kids need a break from their teachers.
9.  The teachers need a break from the kids.
8.  It gives us the energy to push hard through the last nine weeks.
7.  There will be time to do spring house cleaning.  (I actually have some time to get it done.)
6.  Hopefully, I will have time to read for enjoyment.  Of course, this will may take away from spring cleaning time.
5.  I'm hoping for a Bookstore afternoon with a cup of coffee, the latest magazines, and a whole lot of books to browse.
4.  I may just squeeze in sleeping a little late.  With Daylight Savings Time beginning tonight, it is going to be dark until 7 AM again.
3.  I'm looking forward to time to play the piano.
2.  There is the Mr.'s birthday to celebrate.  Nothing major, but a little something.

And the number one reason to love spring break:
Ski Trips!!  Granted, the last one four years ago ended a bit disastrously with me having a stroke.  (Not related to the skiing, even though I was on skis when it happened.)  I haven't been skiing since, and I am ready to go again. 

I didn't learn to ski until I was 35 or 36, so I have been making up for lost time.  I love the mountains and the snow.  I love the quietness riding up the lifts.  I love the exhilaration when I'm headed downhill. I love the fact that you don't have to be a great athlete to enjoy this sport. 

Ski trips have always been family affairs.  Several families would rent a condo on slope.  The kids and parents all skiied, so there was always someone who skiied at your level.  It was easy to return to the condo if someone was tired, hungry, or sick.  Our favorite condos were slope side, so we could watch the skiers coming down the mountain.  Oh, and a hot tub at the end of the day was always a perk.  There is nothing like sitting in a hot tub, watching the stream rise, and catching snowflakes on your tongue.

For the most part, I ski only green and blue runs.  I skiied my first black run nine years ago.  I was 44 and a nine year old cajoled me into going with her because her mom was "a stick in the mud." She was a persuasive little thing.  R thought it was the best time ever.  She beat me down the hill and hollered encouragment while I was catching up.  R is graduating from high school this year.  I miss the little girl with shamrock tattoos on her face and a motor mouth.  The lift line workers loved her.  There was never a stranger and never a dull moment with R.  She made a pretty great ski buddy.

The Mr. has consented to let me ski again.  (Him saying "Over my dead body," and me saying, "That could be arranged" might have something to do with it.) It won't happen this year, but I have big plans for spring break or at least a 4 day weekend next year!

6 comments:

Mary said...

Your list looks a lot like mine, except without piano playing (don't have a piano), birthday, and skiing! Guess we'll just have to insert lunch with friends, weeding the garden, and hiking in the mountains for those! Have a great, restful week!

Hays Family 5 said...

My list looks a little like yours (well, OK a lot) minus the skiing, of course! I am going to add one more thing to the list....a nap each day.

I have several spring cleaning chores beginning with a teenage boy's room that requires a hazmat suit to enter!

P.S. My kids rocked the reading assessment much to my relief! 100% at meets or above with 7 in exemplary. Now on to the math...

Mrs. E said...

Woo hoo, Kelli and your class!! I hope I teach long enough to hit 100%!! I think Mr. Baxter has put the ix-nay on my naps!

Heidi said...

Sounds good, Mrs. E- enjoy the break! You've certainly earned it.

Give Baxter a cuddle for me.

gayle said...

I'm guessing Baxter is going to get a lot of together time with you this week! Enjoy!

Katie @ Can't Get There said...

How fun! I bet you will have a blast next year on your ski trip. Just don't worry Mr. E too much! :)

What'cha reading this week?? Inquiring minds need to know!