Thursday, May 13, 2010

Students and Send Offs

I guess I should know the eye looks bad when a boy from the back row of the room raises his hand and says, "What's with the eye, Mrs. E?"  Don't I wish I knew!  I may go to walk-in at the Dr. office today to see if there is anything medical magic can do for me. 

Yesterday was the last day for the seniors.  My trailer colleague and I were really surprised by the number of seniors who came by with a senior picture and to tell us good-bye.  It was incredibly sweet.  If they hadn't stopped by, we never would have seen them. 

Maybe the fact that we all weathered the tornado and trailer school together made the students and staff bond in a way that we hadn't before.  We've had to be there for each other.  It was the only way to survive.

For a school that is incredibly spread out, we have become closer in all the ways that really count. 

Best comment of the day?  One senior boy as he was leaving said, "Be sure and let me know when you are moving into the new building next year.  I'll come back and help you move."  And that from a student who will never get to go to school in our new building.  It made me tear up and gave me a lump in my throat. 

The best part of my job:  the students.  Always the students.

5 comments:

SEB said...

And good ole CHS has some of the best! Not that I'm biased or anything :)

Anonymous said...

HS years seem to hold a special place in one's heart and I am sure that this year's Seniors memories will be even more dear to them for all of the trials they have had to endure these past couple of years!
Go get that eye checked out! Eye "issues" are as uncomfortable as sore feet! We take them for granted day in and day out. Could be as simple as an allergic reaction to your eye makeup.....can happen even when you've used the same brands for forever! xoxxo JKO

Katie (Can't Get There) said...

And here I didn't think anything could make me feel nostalgic for my high school days. Don't know how you did it. :) What a lucky and lovely community you have, Mrs. E!

Mary said...

Sounds like you're a part of something wonderful! That is so sweet of the one boy to offer to come back and help. Makes you believe that there are good people out there!

Pugelicious said...

It sounds like these were memorable times for all of you. Sometimes it takes loss to make us realise just what we have. Lesson learned - never take anything for granted. Happy weekend to you Mrs E.