Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Another Book I'll Remember and a Tuesday Tune, Too

After The Help by Kathryn Stockett, the dilemma has been what book to read next.  Another piece of fiction could never live up to that book right now. 

I started The Ride of Our Lives by Mike Leonard.  (Leonard is an NBC Journalist.)  This is the true story of a cross country RV trip that Leonard took with his elderly parents and grown children. He knew his time and his kid's time with his parents was limited, so that was the premise for the trip.

How did I find this book?  Cousin D rode his motorcycle to our 'cousins camp out' and brought the book to me in his saddle bag.  He said it was a great book and that the Mr. and I both needed to read it.  I'm only about four chapters in, and I already know that Cousin D was absolutely right.

Leonard's parents are as funny as some of Janet Evanovich's characters in the Stephanie Plum books.  His commentary on his parents is hilarious. I find myself laughing out loud.  And then there are touching moments that bring tears to my eyes.

I'm so glad Cousin D shared this with me.  This is a book that can hold its own, which after The Help is quite remarkable. 

Since today is a Tuesday Tune day, I was thinking about some other favorite books.  I haven't read it in years, but I loved Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fanny Flagg. 

I loved the movie based on the book, too.  And there was one song in the movie that I knew I'd never forget: Hugh Grayson singing Bob Dylan's lyrics in "I'll Remember You." 



I'll remember you
When I've forgotten all the rest
You to me were true
You to me were the best
When there is no more
You cut to the core
Quicker than anyone I knew
When I'm all alone
In the great unknown
I'll remember you

True of wonderful people in our lives, but it is sometimes true of books, characters, movies, and songs, too.  The good ones become almost like friends.  We return to them again and again.  I like that.  "In the end, my dear sweet friend, I'll remember you."

5 comments:

Kim said...

I'll have to look for the book at my library. Thanks for the tip.

Gayle said...

I just looked online and found that my library has that book! Now I know what to borrow next week!

Mary said...

Thanks for the heads up on the book! Especially since you referred to the characters in Janet Evanovich's books!

Beth said...

I loved the song! I watched the movie again several months ago---I really like the three main actresses. I've not read the book though Should I still read it even though I've seen the movie?
I can't wait to start reading for fun again, although I "stumbled" on a small textbook of short stories that the freshmen and I both really enjoyed--each story was short and engaging with an unpredictable ending---quite puzzled them!

Katie (Can't Get There) said...

Totally made me tear up at work.