Monday, June 14, 2010

Scarlett and Rhett Days

I think I've written about Gone With the Wind before.  When I was a freshman in high school, I brought the book home from school one winter weekend.  Mom knew I loved to read books cover to cover without a break.  And...

She let me read Gone With the Wind that weekend in one sitting!  (Who does that?!  Another book lover!)  I think I came out of my room for bathroom breaks and that was about it.  She even brought me meals so I wouldn't have to quit reading.  She let me read that book without a break.  Bless. Her. Heart.  She knew I'd love it.  And I did.

Margaret Mitchell's characters were easy to love: Scarlett-just a bit emotional and spoiled and so attached to the land; Rhett- the arrogant cad who does as he pleases; and even Melanie, the quiet, unassuming tower of strength and common sense.  I'm guessing you can figure out who I identified with the most.

So now I have Scarlett O'Hara days.  In other words, "I'll think about that tomorrow."  (I could have a master's degree in procrastination.)

But other days are Rhett Butler days: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."  In other words, this isn't my problem and I have no intention of letting it become my problem. 

I channel both characters from time to time.

Strangely, this is one book I have never read again.  Most of the time, I will go back and read favorite books again and again. I've never gone back to Gone With the Wind. I'm not sure why. 

And I've only seen bits and pieces of the movie.  I can't bring myself to watch the whole thing.  I think I've been afraid that movie couldn't live up to my imagination.  (I hadn't seen the actors before I read the book, and I remember being so disappointed in the way Vivian Leigh and Clark Cable looked.  That wasn't even close to the way I had pictured them!)

So, a one-time read has worked its way into the fabric of my day to day life.  And it is still one of my favorite books of all time.

Today, I have house to clean, even if I am feeling a bit like Scarlett.  I'm just not sure the dust is going to wait until tomorrow... Rhett, where are you?

5 comments:

Dandy said...

There are just so many books I need to read and this is one of them. I remember I was little when I first saw the movie and I cried and cried at the drama of it all. I loved it :)

holybovine said...

Cousin KShu and I went to see this movie twice back when I was in high school. First time I cried. Second time I laughed. Haven't watched it since. Loved the Carol Burnette spoof with the dress. Wish I could remember your mother better, but everytime I look at your sister, I see Aunt M's face. :-)

Katie (Can't Get There) said...

This is another movie on my queue to see this year. I just read the book for the first time last year and was surprised by how much I loved it. How could a nice yankee girl like myself like such a Southern novel? By identifying with Rhett, of course. :)

I love that you read and re-read your favorites - so many people think I'm weird for doing that!

Kim said...

I read it when I was in high school, too, though not in one sitting. When it comes to cleaning, it seems I can always find my inner Rhett! Hope you got things cleaned AND had time to read a book, too!

Shannon said...

I think my reading of Gone with the Wind was similar. I was a zombie. Then the last two pages were ripped out and I had to wait about three days before finishing it. I had Rhett and Scarlett's happily ever after all worked out and just bawled my eyes out when I finally got to read the ending. Such a GREAT book!