Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow Day #2

Some of us are thinking we may never get to have a first day in our new school.  Like one of my colleagues said, "Mother Nature started this whole thing with the tornado destroying the school, and now she's controlling when we get into our new school."  She seems to be having the first and last word.

Our students normally love snow days, but some elementary kids upon hearing the news of a snow day--burst into tears.  And even some high school kids were pretty disappointed.  I imagine I wasn't the only teacher who was a little less than delighted. 

In fact, I just had to go to school for a couple of hours yesterday. I puttered around in my new room. (There really wasn't much to do, but I'm thinking of going back today!)  These were some of the pictures I took on the walk home.
The snow started up again in the early evening, and then the wind picked up.  So... we don't have school again today.  Maybe tomorrow.  In the meantime, Baxter and I are keeping the home fires burning.

10 comments:

Mary said...

Beautiful pictures! So cool that you can walk to school. If I worked for the "city" school system YS goes to, I could walk, too, but since I work for the county, I have 15 and 20 minute drives to work.

Relyn Lawson said...

We had late start today, but that's all. It's our first late start and I celebrate winter with my kids that day. We've had a great time so far.

Puna said...

School let out two hours early today on the forecast. So far, no snow in sight.

Beth said...

We had an early dismissal today and probably no school tomorrow. The roads were 'dicey'(a word I use to describe something tough to handle).
We had 25 minute classes and the first three were dicey because the kids were wound up.
I'm sorry about your delay. It would have been nice if mother nature had let you all have your first day and then snow you in!:)
Your room looks wonderful and I think it's great you can display all those momentos. I don't have a 'safe' place for those, so they keep me company here at home.
The photos are beautiful. I hope to explore with camera tomorrow.

Kim said...

I know it will be worth the wait.

Vodka Mom said...

I can't wait to see how it goes. We moved into a new school four years ago (not from a tornado, however) and it is incredible. Just INCREDIBLE.

xoxox

joyce said...

If we had snow days, there'd be no school from november till march! It does seem a little ironic though, how nature keeps putting you out of your new school. Hopes for tomorrow!

A said...

Wishing you a day of school tomorrow and me a day or two off starting tomorrow ;) Can't wait to hear more about the new school and see more photos!!!

PS: Beautiful photos - I'm shocked you took the time to take any photos with as COOOOLD as it's been there! I'm very hard to be convinced to take photos when it's too cold!

Sharon Rose said...

Lovely pictures. We got more snow today as well.

Together We Save said...

Your pictures are great!! We are home for snow too.