Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Power of Your Voice

I'm not sure it is possible to teach school with no voice.  And yesterday might have been living proof of that.  Even changing lesson plans didn't help a lot. 

Don't get me wrong, the kids were helpful.  They were so happy to be "my voice."  (I know.  Scary!)  One sophomore boy even brought me a Diet Pepsi, hoping that would help me out.  Pretty sweet.  In spite of their help, I still didn't feel like we accomplished as much as we should have. 

To top off a less than golden day, we had  Parent/Teacher conferences last night.   It was kind of like we had Typhoid Mary on staff.  And sadly, that would have been me.  The principal called a sub for me, and I put lesson plans on my desk before I left for the evening.

Combine my no voice, all the snow days, and just a few weeks until State Testing--and I've got all the makings for a disaster on my hands.  The timing of this "crud" couldn't be any worse.  I need to recover, and I mean ASAP.

Today I am letting my vocal cords rest, while my brain goes into overtime trying to plan and schedule the next few weeks.

I think I can. I think I can.  I think I can.  (And by gosh, I better!)

4 comments:

Kim said...

Try to rest! Try to rest! Try to rest! And drink plenty of fluids. I am pretty sure the Diet Pepsi boy would earn some extra credit. Hope you are better soon!

holybovine said...

This little ditty suddenly came to mind: "There's a kind of hush...all over the world tonight." I'd tell you to sing along, but that might be construed as mean spirited. Feel better soon!

Shannon said...

I had laryngitis about two weeks ago and it is so annoying not to be able to talk. Did the hot tea and a little honey and that does seem to ease it a bit. Good thing you are resting it today. Think it just has to run its course unfortunately. Get better!

kbrenz said...

I feel your pain. I just wrapped up Day 3 of no voice. Not so handy for a music teacher to be mute (or squeaking as in my case).