Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Randoms- All The News You Don't Need To Know

Ten Things You May Or May Not Know

1.  I love wineries.  I am searching for "weekend" wineries for our vacation this year. 

2.  The Mr. doesn't really get sick days or vacation days.  If he doesn't work, he doesn't get paid.  (It's a lovely deal.)  Since he took quite a few days in April and May for his surgery, a vacation doesn't seem to be in the works.  He also rarely gets two days off in a row, so our vacation is going to have to be day trips.  See #1.

3.  For the first 25 years of my life, I rarely wore makeup.  I still wear very little:  lipstick, eyeliner, and mascara.  Sweating at the pool this summer, I am back to no makeup.  I love how little time it takes to get ready.  I yank the hair in a pony tail, bobby pin loose ends, slather on sunscreen, and I'm on my way. Do I need makeup?  Why, yes I do.  In other words, it isn't pretty!

4.  When Baxter jumps up in my chair and sits with me, I find myself talking to him like he is a small child.   It scares me.

5.  I hate Ann Curry on the Today Show.  I have never been a fan.  She drives me nuts.  I wasn't a Meredith Vieira fan either.  (Though I loved the farewell show.)  I miss Katie Couric.

6.  I just read Heaven Is For Real in about an hour and a half.  I like that vision of heaven.  A lot.

7.  I just agreed to direct two student productions this next year.  Am I nuts?  Quite possibly.  We'll see how this goes.

8.  There is a line in the movie "The American President" that seems to be quite fitting for all of our politicians from the President all the way down to our state officials.  "I was so busy keeping my job I forgot to do my job."  Yep.  'Nuff said.

9. I don't like pepper.  I will never need a pepper shaker.  When I get something that has been heavily peppered, I can't eat it.  Have I mentioned that the Mr. loves pepper?  I need to hide the shaker when he is cooking.  (He thinks he can slip it into a dish and I'll never know.  Wrong!)

10.  I am either getting arthritis in my thumbs, or I am developing carpal tunnel.  Whichever one it is, I've had minor bouts of it since the tornado and the rescuing of our high school library.  Lately, it has been worse.  So...I am limiting computer time.  If I'm not here, my thumbs are resting!

Today is Flag Day.  On Easy Street we fly the flag every day from June 14th through the 4th of July.  I think that tradition was born after 9-11.

Happy Flag Day!  I'll return when the thumbs are up to it.

6 comments:

Kim said...

I don't like Ann Curry on the Today show either. Her interviews drive me CRAZY! I did like Meredith. Yes, you are nuts to direct student productions: It will be stressful, but fun and rewarding, too! I also read Heaven Is For Real in a Sunday afternoon and found it thought provoking. Those are my random thoughts on your random thoughts. Thumbs up from the County Line.

A said...

Ha ha! Your number 4 made me laugh out loud. I'd have to say I do the same thing... ONLY I don't have a dog, so it's usually me talking like that to strangers' dogs on the streets... (I definitely AVOID eye contact with those dog owners - I can only IMAGINE what they are thinking ;)

Sharon Rose said...

I miss Katie too!

Oh, and I talk to my dog in a little voice and she loves it! Everyone else in the house wants to slap me when I do it.

holybovine said...

I've never been an Ann Curry fan either, and feel as if she talks to her interviewees like you're talking to Baxter. The way she holds her hands together, resting her arms on her thighs as she leans forward, nodding sympathetically using her indoor voice...ugh... Bring back Katie!

Puna said...

I'm actually glad you shared this mrs. e. As for Ann Currie, I have the same sentiment. I think it's the condescending tone. Kudos to you husband for taking care of his family even with his difficulty of finding time off. Hope he feels better soon. I do hope you guys have some great day vacations!

Anonymous said...

I also read Heaven is for Real. I recommend it to anyone who will listen to me! I'm with you for no makeup in the summer (and it is not pretty for me either). BJB