Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ol' Pooh

Winnie the Pooh was a big part of my childhood.  I loved that old stuffed bear and his friends Eeyore, Piglet, Tigger, Kanga and Roo.  Mom read the books to all four of us kids, and I had some of the stuffed animals.  

I loved hearing Mom read both the Winnie the Pooh stories and A.A. Milne's poetry.  (We had a four book set.)  I can still hear her voice when I read "They're changing the guard at Buckingham Palace." (Thinking back on it, Mom was all things British:  A.A. Milne and Pooh, Yorkshire Pudding, and Speckled Jim.) 

The first movie K ever saw was  "Winnie the Pooh."  I can still remember her being the only one giggling in the movie theater.  And other people began laughing at her laughing.

L was our Tigger. "Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy!  Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!"

I shouldn't be surprised that this song is already on the Lady Bug's playlist.
"Christopher Robin and I walked along
Under branches lit up by the moon
Posing our questions to Owl and Eeyore
As our days disappeared all too soon
But I've wandered much further today than I should
And I can't seem to find my way back to the Wood"

The days do disappear all too soon, and sometimes it is hard to find our way back.  But, I think there is a little granddaughter who, one day soon, will need me to read her the Winnie the Pooh books.  Her great-grandmother would probably be quite pleased to know that we've taken a bit of her into the future.

“What day is it?"
It's today," squeaked Piglet.
My favorite day," said Pooh.”

Mine too, Pooh.  Mine, too.


S. Etole said...

Thanksgiving blessings to you this day! Love that Pooh Bear!

Mary said...

One of my SILs made sure OS had a Pooh...I still have it, along with an Eeyore. That Ladybug is one lucky little girl!