Saturday, January 4, 2014

So What Did You Do Over Break?

Besides Christmas celebrations, I don't think that I did much.  I call this recovery mode. 

Let's see...

*I cleaned out all the drawers in my bathroom vanity.  I still can't figure out why I save old lipstick and mascara tubes.

*The Mr. took me to see Frozen and Saving Mr. Banks.  (Both great movies!)

*I might have immersed myself in Seasons 1, 2, & 3 of Downton Abbey.  I haven't quite finished, but I'm getting there.


That is a short list of accomplishments.  Other things of note?

*I have had recurring dreams about a former student who had brain surgery on Nov. 21st and again on Dec. 18th. She had been studying elementary education at my college alma mater, when she experienced horrible headaches.  She ended up being rushed into surgery and was lucky to survive. She was originally diagnosed with anaplastic astrocytoma which was Stage 3 cancer, but right after Christmas she was told that she actually had Glioblastoma Multiforme, which is Stage 4.  She is facing the fight of her young life. (And I'm wishing I hadn't googled the disease.) Her parents are in Texas now, so she is recuperating at home with them. I keep dreaming that she is staying with us, and I wake up concerned about where she is sleeping and if she is OK. I guess she has been on my mind a lot. Please add 19 year old Morgan to your prayers.  She and her family are trying to be positive, but I know that they are scared for what 2014 will bring.  (And I am, too.) 

*There are several other friends and relatives going through some rough times.  More about those in the days and weeks ahead.  My prayer list is growing long.

*There are several things that I should be doing:  new seating charts, lesson plans, planning for "The Outsiders" and my Professional Development notebook for re-certification approval. And I have two days.  Two Days!

You'd think that I might be feeling pressure, but I'm not.  I'm going to have several cups of coffee--and then take a trip to visit Little Man E and his parents. 

I think this is going to be a Scarlet O'Hara year.  "I'll think about that tomorrow" sounds like a good mantra for the year.  (Except for my post Christmas eating, which is more of a "You HAVE to think about that today--and every day.")

That is a sad little list of accomplishments, and I have to admit that I am glad.  I needed this break!
 

3 comments:

Kim said...

Sometimes, you just need a break - and that's the most important thing that needs to get done. Enjoy your last couple of days before school starts!

Amy said...

Only 2 days! I'm not ready to go back, yet!!

Mary said...

I like your mantra...I may have to adopt it, too! :) Happy New Year!