Thursday, October 23, 2014

Not Exactly an F

I didn't fail my hearing test; I didn't quite pass it either.  I have what my Dr. likes to call "nuisance" hearing loss.  (He compared it with needing glasses but not wearing them.) Many people would just live with it.  I don't happen to be in an occupation where "living with it" works.

I guess teachers and lawyers are the first to see a Dr. about "nuisance" hearing loss.  We think students or clients or witnesses are mumbling or looking down when they are talking, so we miss what they are saying.  Bingo!!

It is fairly important we hear what is being said in our classrooms or courtrooms.  So...

Next up?  He is fitting me with a hearing aid. I will try it out for a week to see if I like the results.  (He seemed pretty certain that I would.)  I won't be crazy about the price.  (He seemed pretty certain I wouldn't.)

After the trial period?  Well, a pretty good chunk of change will be expected. Unfortunately, our insurance doesn't cover a hearing aid. So....

Pencil to paper and taking scissors to the budget.  Squeezing blood out of a turnip.  All the cliches fit here.

I suppose robbing a bank is out of the question...

Or...maybe I'll actually hate hearing everything that is said to me.

I'm pretty sure this won't be the end of the story.  Stay tuned for the sequel.

1 comment:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Do keep us posted! I was amazed recently to see how much hearing aids cost. YIKES!

Love and hugs to you and have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady