Saturday, February 28, 2015

Last Day Of February

The forecast calls for 1-9 inches of snow.  Hmmm...do you think there is a chance that they have no idea? 

Anyway, it is snowing here today.  I think the Bug is hoping for enough snow that she can go sledding down the little hill here on Easy Street.

We are two weeks away from the opening of "The Three Musketeers."  Yikes!  There is a lot to do and even more interruptions to the rehearsal schedule.

I guess I can share a few changes in store for next year.  My student teacher has been hired to teach English, to replace my friend and colleague who arrived at Tiny Town High with me 30+ years ago.  (LKD is taking early retirement.) The plan for next year is that I will teach half of the sophomore English and then LKD's speech, drama, and forensics the other half of the day.  This will require a room change.  I LOVE my room; however, LKD's speech room is pretty amazing, too.  I'm sure it will feel like home in no time.  I am excited about the changes, and about sharing some of the responsibility for assessments.

Have I mentioned that my student teacher is wonderful?  She is.  I am excited to have her for a colleague, as she makes me a better teacher, too. (She is teaching the other half of sophomore English, so we will still be working together. We're a pretty good team.) And she is adorable!

So next year, I will be the one with half the grading, but twice the planning. I'm also in for a hectic spring with forensic tournaments and directing the Spring Show.  I will spend a good part of my summer emptying out one classroom and making the other feel like "home." And I look forward to the changes.  I'm hoping that this will be a good "gig" for finishing out my teaching career.  (That is somewhere in the next 5-8 years.  I'm probably teaching for as long as it is still enjoyable!)

On this snowy day, I am going to be grading a few papers, watching last week's episode of Downton Abbey, and doing a little work on the show.  Sometimes, the weather is a good excuse to take it easy and catch up.

Happy February 28th!   

No comments: