Saturday, May 23, 2015

New Classroom Project #1

School is out, but I have spent the last two mornings working in my classroom for next year.  I said that this was one of my favorite rooms in the new school.  Here is a shot from the ramp that leads into the room.
The room has a stage and lights in it, and it is huge.  Besides being large, the ceilings are really high, too.  

My former colleague inherited the wall art from the Christmas Dance decorations, the year before we moved into the new school.  Her little daughter stood on top of the cabinets to put it in place.  I have always loved it, and she left it in place for me!
 
It reminds me of "Phantom of the Opera" or
"Beauty and the Beast."

I have spent quite a bit of time, trying to figure out what to do to the rest of the walls.  Normal posters look tiny in a room this size. 

I am also trying to figure out how to make one part of the room look like English/Reading, and the rest of the room look like Speech, Drama and Forensics.  (I'm still working on that one.)

The prom decorations this year were given to us from another school, so the price was right.  A few of them even worked for our big Senior Production. When I saw them, I knew they would be perfect to add some decoration to the rest of this room.  (And yes, I did some begging.)
 This is part of the front of the room,
and here is what I am planning to put up on either side of the screen:
 NYC: Time Square
NYC Skyline

They look so tiny here, but they are actually about 12 feet tall and 12 feet wide.  Here's the close up.

Now, I need the custodians and the scissor lift to help me put them in place. (Velcro Command Strips--the heavy duty ones.)

So now, three of the four walls will be pretty much done. (The stage with curtain covers the back wall.)

Have I mentioned that the custodians are using the lift to clean the lights in my room?  And did I also mention that I am taking them breakfast on Tuesday morning?  Yes, a little bribe never hurt, though they are pretty used to me and my "favors" by now. 

When I put these in place, I am done decorating until August. I wouldn't be in a hurry for these, except that they are taking up valuable closet space, AND the custodians have to take my door off the hinges to get the lift into the room. I'm thinking this is a one time chance.  Asking them to remove the door a 2nd time might be pushing my luck. (First rule of teaching: the custodians, cooks, and secretaries are the most important people in the school! Be nice to them!)

After Tuesday, I hope to spend some time playing and am planning to avoid school for a couple of weeks. I will drag home a few things so I can work on lesson plans for my three new preps, but I will work from home--and take a lot of breaks!

And in spite of all the work I have been doing, I have read my first book of the summer.  I'm off to a good start.

1 comment:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a huge classroom and what great ways to decorate your walls.

You are a kindhearted person. I'm sure breakfast will be appreciated.

Enjoy your summer off in between times of prep work for the next year.

FlowerLady