Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Two Great Books

I have read two books this summer that I really love. I have a hunch that I will remember both of them.

The first was The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant. It was written almost like a transcript of a granddaughter's interview with her grandmother. The grandmother tells her life story beginning in 1900 and ending with an 85th birthday party in 1985. This book reminded me of the Twain quote, "There was never yet an uninteresting life. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy, and a tragedy." The Boston girl's life had all of these. I couldn't put this book down.

The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore was the second book I loved. This story is of two Wes Moore's who grew up just blocks apart, yet never met each other until the writing of this book. The author Wes Moore becomes a college graduate, Rhodes Scholar, and decorated soldier.  The other Wes Moore is in prison, serving a life sentence. The author wanted to know how two young black men could share the same name, have such similar beginnings and yet their lives had such different outcomes. He interviewed people who were instrumental in both of their lives, describes their homes and friendships, and includes the problems each meet along the way. Fascinating why people make the decisions that they do.

This quote from The Other Wes Moore stayed with me. "When it is time for you to leave this school, leave your job, or even leave this earth, you make sure you have worked hard to make sure it mattered that you were ever here." This was advice author Wes Moore heard from Colonel Billy Murphy. I might have to frame that quote.

These were two great reads. I highly recommend them.

No comments: