Friday, May 28, 2010

Summer Reads


I've had a few people ask what I am reading this summer.  These are the books on my list for right now.  Summer reading is my favorite.  There is no rhyme or reason to it. Some of it might be helpful to my students, but most of it is something I have stumbled upon by chance. 

I just finished The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs.  It was a fun, fluff read.  Next up is The Help by Kathryn Stockett, although I still haven't read Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich and it might be an easier read for this camping weekend.  I'm excited to read The Help.  So many people have recommended it!

Most of the other books were given to me by the Mr.'s cousin.  She had read them in her book club and was passing them on:  The Lady and the Panda by Vicki Constantine Croke and City of Thieves by David Benioff. 

When I was cleaning out the office, I ran across a young adult book that K had given me a year or so ago after attending a conference.  I have never read Flygirl by  Sherri L. Smith, so that is on the stack right now, too.  

Speaking of young adult literature, I promised my students that I would read The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. These three books have been making the rounds of my students:  City of Bones, City of Ashes, and City of Glass. The wait list at the high school library was long, so I decided I would read these during the summer.  Maybe they will be pool time reads!

My brother suggested I read the book The Trouble With Boys by Peg Tyre.  It wasn't that long ago that public education was being admonished because our girls were behind in math and science classes.  Now, they are discovering that fewer boys are enrolling in college, in AP classes, and in any extra-curricular activity that isn't athletics.  Tyre draws some conclusions about the effect that this is having on schools and society.  I'm hoping the city librarian can special order a copy of the book for me to read. 

There are always more books than summer, but I look forward to making a dent in the stack waiting for me!

8 comments:

Mary said...

I just finished up :The Help" 2 days ago. It was amazing. I'm planning on posting on it soon. I read "Plum Spooky" a while ago...LOVE Janet Evanovich! She always makes me laugh!
Have fun camping! :D

Relyn Lawson said...

OH, there's nothing like a big pile of summer reading. Do you do GoodReads? I think you'd love it. As to The Help it is stunning. Simply amazing. I didn't like Friday Night Knitting Club. Couldn't stand the ending, actually. I can't wait to hear about the rest. Give us a review, OK?

margie said...

love summer reading. i am holding onto the help until i get to the cottage. best place to read. enjoy your time off.

Kim said...

My name finally came up on the "hold" list at my library, so I picked up "The Help" yesterday. I've heard great things, too, so I hope it doesn't disappoint. Thanks for the other suggestions. Reading is one of my great pleasures.

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Mrs. E. ~
Oh so much to tell you ~ first of all I loved The Help ~ my favorite book of 2009! Second of all have you been watching the Donna Reed marathon this month on Turner Classic Movies?
And finally, I am so glad you shared your reading list with me ~ Our library is having an Adult reading program this summer and I just entered it! I am so glad to visit and find out my friend enjoys more of the same things as I do. I hope your summer is just filled with magical moments! Blessings ~ Katie

Katie (Can't Get There) said...

Fun list! I've heard good things about City of Thieves, but haven't actually read any of the books on your list. Make sure you let us know what you think of them!

Anonymous said...

Loved The Help! Loved, loved, loved it. Just finished Roses by Leila Meacham. Really good, too! Summer is so great!
Enjoy your reads!
Cam

Beth said...

Since I now require my Advanced Eng. III students to read and do a project on a classic, I need to reacquaint myself with some and read for the first time others.