Saturday, October 23, 2010
1. As a kid, I was extrememly shy. I hid in my mom's skirts. I remember wrapping up in them and hoping no one could see me.
2. I didn't learn to snow ski until I was 35. It is still my favorite sport.
3. I own quite a few pairs of reading glasses. Cheap ones. I wear them with my contacts. My students imitate me by putting their glasses on the end of their noses. They think they are really funny.
4. I have been haunted by claustrophobia most of my life. I can't stand sheets or long nightgowns wrapping around my legs, sweatshirts getting stuck going on or coming off, or even someone pinning my arms. Huge crowds in tight places drive me crazy.
5. My dad used to forget to pick me up at piano lessons...weekly. The school custodian and I got to be good friends. Eventually, I learned to walk to a great aunt's house to wait. He'd get home without me, and mom would send him back to get me. And I still love him...!
6. I love all things pumpkin. The Mr. does not.
7. I love coffee. The Mr. does not. He drinks it, but it isn't his favorite.
8. When I was 4, I almost bit my tongue off in a car accident. (It hasn't slowed or affected my speech. Ask anyone who knows me!)
9. I've never smoked a cigarette. And I hate 2nd hand smoke.
10. I've always been a working mom. I went back to work when the girls were 5 weeks old. In many ways, it was the best of both worlds. I probably would have been a lousy stay-at-home mom.
11. It has taken me years to figure it out, but I need to be outside every day--in all kinds of weather. I'm healthier (mentally and physically) when I am.
12. No one cries alone in my presence. I see tears; I cry, too.
13. My mom thought that crap or bull were dirty words. Bad language wasn't part of my childhood.
14. Swinging, merry-go-rounds, anything spinnning are all no-no's for me. Motion sickness has haunted me my entire life. I can't go to Imax theaters. Even riding in the back seat of the car can make me sick. It's a curse.
15. On the upside, I love roller coasters! They don't affect me a bit.
16. I'm a nail biter. I used to be a thumb sucker. My bad habits abound.
17. I go to bed early and get up early. I'm a morning person. I operate better on that end of the day.
18. I gave matchmaking a try once. They are still married.
19. When God was handing out dimples, He only gave me one. (Well, not counting the ones in each shoulder. What is up with that anyway?!!)
20. I'm a "Harry Potter" fan. I'm the only one in my family who is. The adorable 3rd grade son of one of my favorite former students invited me to go to see the new movie with them. I can't wait!
21. At the end of every day, I can't wait to walk in the doors of my house. Best place in the world!