Friday, December 17, 2010

Some Fridays

Trailer High has a BN Excellent award for students.  The award has been in existence for over ten years.  Each nine weeks every teacher and staff member nominates a student of their choice.  Sometimes the award goes to a great student, but often it is for the kid who steps in and breaks up a fight, defends some underdog, or performs a thoughtful gesture.  The kids are pretty proud when they receive it.  There is a pizza lunch, and then their name is entered into a drawing, too.

Our principal started a BN Excellent award program for teachers this year. 

Once per nine weeks he slips into a teacher's room and leaves a certificate on their computer.  On the certificate he tells exactly what he appreciates about the teacher.  The added perk is that the teacher gets to choose one Friday afternoon in that month to take off, and he will substitute for their afternoon classes.  He tells the teacher to enjoy an early start to the weekend.  Isn't that an awesome award? He knows exactly what a teacher needs!

So....Since the Mr. is off today, he is picking me up at lunch, and we are headed out to do a little Christmas shopping this afternoon.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate this little perk.  Actually, I can't tell you how much I appreciate my principal--even if I am old enough to be his mother.  I'm going to try to tell you about him one of these days, but that will be another blog post.     

Happy Friday!  (Last Friday in Trailers!)

2 comments:

Mrs. E said...

I should mention about 30+ kids are given BN Excellent awards every nine weeks. I don't want it to sound like only one student gets it. We have a lot of BN Excellent kids in Tiny Town!

Mary said...

That is incredible that he does that for the teachers. And, it gets him back in touch with what's going on in the classrooms, too!