Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving Weekend

The girls and I went Black Friday shopping late in the evening on Thursday.  We went to Walmart at 10:00 and were back in the car by 10:17.  The place was nuts.  (Not terribly serious shoppers, we are mainly there for fun.)  We got coffee at a coffee shop, then headed to Target which was opening at midnight.  I don't need to do that again, as there was nothing much fun about it.  The line was several blocks long and the whole situation had the potential to turn into a disaster.  Line jumpers were moving into place, as were the police.  We decided we didn't need to "enjoy" that, so we went back home for several hours of sleep. 

We woke up at 4:30 and K, L, CT, and the Bug decided to make a morning of a shopping trip.  I went on my own, needing to be back to leave for a funeral.  All of us found the stores uncrowded and with many of the great deals still available.  I think we've decided that the best idea is to miss the huge crowds and get up early to enjoy the shopping. As little time as I've spent shopping--and I'm done.  Well, almost.  I still need to shop for the Lady Bug.  (I don't consider that a chore at all!)

Most annoying moment of the shopping trip: the lady who was ramming us all in the backs of the legs with her cart.  (She was really in a hurry!  Good grief!)  Best moment of the shopping trip:  the worker at Menards who carried a really big (and slightly heavy) box almost two blocks for me.  All I wanted was a cart to put it in, but he insisted on carrying it to the car which wasn't even in their parking lot.  Bless.His.Heart!

The funeral yesterday was for the Mr.'s aunt.  She was 94, and the last of her siblings.  It seemed appropriate to have her funeral on Thanksgiving Weekend, as it was less funeral and more a thanksgiving service for a long, good life.

The Mr.'s little brother, his wife, and their oldest son met us for dinner at the local cafe last night.  Their oldest son got to meet the Bug for the first time.  It was so good to see him.  He and L figured out that they live just ten minutes apart.  All of us enjoyed a little of the downtown Christmas and then headed home for some birthday cake.  The little brother and K are both celebrating in the next few days. 

Today, I am helping decorate the church for the first Sunday in advent.  Then the Mr. and I are headed to buy our early Christmas gift:  new cell phones on a cheaper plan. Our contracts have been up for quite awhile, so it is a good time to switch.

The rest of this weekend involves pulling out the Christmas decorations and putting away the pumpkins.  I wouldn't mind taking the Mr. to see the J.Edgar movie, but first and foremost is rest and relaxation.  And for that, I am very thankful! 



1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm surprised the stores weren't that crowded that early in the morning. I only went to a Yankee Candle Shop...no way was I going to go to either "Marts" or Target. I worked at Target for a couple of years and HATED Black Friday. People can just be so mean.
Sorry about the aunt...my mom is the last of her siblings (there were 8 kids in her family).