Monday, March 12, 2012

Fleur-de-lis

Sunday morning was rainy.  I was taking Baxter out when I happened to notice a little something purple in a mound of leaves.  (Yes.  We need to do the spring yard work.)

Imagine my surprise to see...
It has been warm enough to see the blooms, but I wasn't expecting this one.  Here's the background of the fleur-de-lis on Easy Street.

Many years ago, my paternal great-grandmother gave some fleur-de-lis to her neighbor.  Of course, great-grandmother had no idea that her grandson (my dad) would someday buy the neighbor's farm and homestead; the fleur-de-lis just happened to be a bonus in the purchase. 

Fast forward to about three years ago when Dad gave me one of those fleur-de-lis bulbs. He had dug some of the bulbs and was sharing a bit of the family history with each of us kids.  I took it home to Easy Street and planted it near the front door. 

Now, Tiny Town soil isn't grand.  I wasn't sure the poor little thing would grow, but it did; however, it never bloomed. We had a little fence around it to keep Baxter away.  I watered it.  And....nothing!

Saturday morning after three years of waiting, I couldn't believe my eyes.  (And looking at the rocks and the leaves around the poor little thing, I'm surprised it had a fighting chance.)

Spring has come to Easy Street, and I hope this little bloom is the first bloom to greet me every spring from now on.  It's kind of nice to have a bit of the old home place growing right outside the front door. 

Just one more example of the past spiraling into the future.  I like that.



1 comment:

Kim said...

I love this colorful connection to your family and its heritage! (And bonus: It's purple!!)