Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Highlights of Day 1

Travel Buddy Mags and I arrived in NYC at 11:20 or so.  We caught an airport bus to Grand Central Station.  And in spite of our fears, it was all relatively easy!
We quickly discovered that we travel together fairly well.  It was raining on us off and on, so we would dash into buildings for a bit.  She gave me time to study the maps because we were walking everywhere. We both were on the hunt for cupcakes!

The first stop was the first thing on my list:  the New York Public Library.  The architecture was amazing.

I can't imagine checking books out of this library, but my next trip to NYC will involve a couple of hours just looking at their books and research areas.

After studying the maps, we walked to Rockefeller Center.  It was easy to find, and on the way we passed St. Patrick's Cathedral.  I can't tell you how many funerals I have seen on television from that church.  I had no idea that it was in such a crowded neighborhood.  You never see the tall buildings around it.
 A lot of this day was about seeing things in person that I have seen on television or in movies for years. We didn't have time to go to the top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center, but it was fun to see that area.  There was a Rockefeller quote on a sign that I need to find. My picture of the sign was only a small portion of the quote. 

The streets add so much to the atmosphere:


We don't have statues like that in Tiny Town.  (And for that, I am thankful. I think.)  The newsstands were as awesome as I thought they would be.
I tried to imagine Times Square on New Year's Eve.  Between the drizzle, crowds, and so much to see, it was a bit overwhelming on Wednesday, May 23rd.  I can't imagine spending the New Year in that area!

We found Bryant Park, home of the Fashion Shows.  Oh yeah, and Mags agreed to an NYC hot dog for lunch. I'm not sure how much walking we had done with all our sight seeing, but it was quite a bit.

When the rain began to get a little more aggressive, we looked at each other and said, "Train?"  We headed back to Grand Central Station.  (It is beautiful!) Catching the train was easier than I thought it would be.  We were like a couple of pros by the time we boarded the Metro headed north.

The family met us at the Poughkeepsie Depot.  We made a pit stop so we could walk across the Hudson on a pedestrian bridge.  (More walking!)  Then we made our way to the hotel.  Dinner was at a local restaurant where we toasted the graduate and sent him a picture (via phone) of his family celebrating without him. Cruel, I know! At this point, there were 14 of us.
Our hotel had a local feel to it:  the Inn at the Falls. Those falls looked more like the waterfalls from home.  Niagara, it wasn't!   I took this picture on our trek from hotel to restaurant. (Again more walking!)
Trust me when I tell you that my bed felt wonderful when I collapsed into it.  All that walking and leaving for the airport at 4 AM came at a price!

What did I learn today?  I could go to NYC again.  I liked the walking, and there are things I would like to spend more time investigating.  It is easier to navigate than I ever dreamed. 

Tomorrow?  More NYC, more rain, and a show.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Were you just there for 1 day???
I've only been to NYC once...with a high school band; I want to go back!
My brother was in NYC for New Year's once...at least he can say he did it! :)

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Thank you for a view of NYC from your own personal tour.

It looks like you had a great time.

FlowerLady