Monday, June 11, 2012

Containers- Plastic vs. Glass

I know.  Sounds like a really interesting post.  Indulge me.

I hate plastic containers.  I have a cupboard that is a jumble of lids and different sizes of plastic containers.  I used to have a lot of Tupperware.  Now, I seem to have more GladWare. and it doesn't make me glad at all.

So what do I hate about plastic?
*The mess of storing those lids and various container sizes.
*Hunting to find a lid that matches the container
*When food stains the container a lovely shade of orange
*I've never liked the plastic after it comes out of the dishwasher.
*When the containers age and look really crusty
*Pretty much everything about plastic containers

Lately, I've been trying to make a gradual switch over to the Ball Canning Jars.  I love the fact that they are glass, and I especially love the wide mouth variety.  In fact, I'll take glass over plastic any day.

Why?
*I already own quite a few jars, so I'm repurposing.
*They come out of the dishwasher and look the same as they did new. (Are they "cleaner" than plastic?)
*They don't seem to take up as much room in the refrigerator and are much neater to store.
*They aren't "cloudy" glass, so I can easily see what each contains.
*They kind of create a "seal" so that things stay fresher and crisper. (Not like a canning seal, but I do have to work to get them open.)
*I can either use quart or pint sizes, and that seems to catch most storage needs.  
*I'm not hunting lids.

Fresh pineapple, celery, and grapes.

Maybe eventually, I'll use them to store rice, beans, flour, sugar, etc. in the pantry.  For right now, I am mainly using them in the fridge for raw fruits and vegetables or for leftovers. 

Will I get rid of the plastic containers forever?  I doubt it.  The Bug is going to need something to play with when she comes to Nana Coco and Papa's house.  (Her momma probably wouldn't let her come if she thought I was going to get glass containers out for the Lady Bug to enjoy.)  Every kid needs one cupboard with pans or Tupperware that they can play with, especially if Momma won't let her into a cupboard at her house.

I've got your back, Bug.  

No comments: