Friday, July 6, 2012

Friday Favorites

*A lot of family time this week.  L has been here since Tuesday.  We've seen a lot of the Bug, CT, and K.

*L and I bought the Bug's first fireworks:  snappers, party poppers, and sparklers.  We spent a whopping $3.50.  I think she threw one snapper, and Baxter was running for his life!  Poor dog is petrified by fireworks.

*L had some car work done (wish $3.50 had covered that!), so we killed time in an antiques store.  What did I find?
This was the doll house Little Sister and I had as kids.  It didn't have any of the furniture, and it was still $69.00.  (The dust on it was free.)  It was made out of metal.  I remember using either our Pee Wee dolls or paper dolls as the occupants of this house. Do you see that little rooftop patio on the left?  That was Little Sister's throne.  I think she sat on it more than she played with the house.(As I recall, she had several thrones.  Another favorite sitting spot was the stove for our little kitchen.  And there was a tupperware cupboard that she emptied and sat in on a frequent basis.  I guess the world was her throne! Always the princess!)

I would have bought the dollhouse for the memories, but the cost was a bit steep.  The metal edges were knife sharp, so there was no way the Lady Bug was going to play with it.  How did I play with it all those years and not remember that?  I loved that doll house and if I weren't so determined to empty my house, I'd have bought it!

*I made a dent in work for next fall's show. I found a bunch of free or inexpensive ways to tackle a few things.  Every little bit helps at this stage of the game.

*K's good friend M had a baby girl on the 4th of July. M gave the new little one her mom's middle name for her daughter's middle name.  Pretty sweet.  I'm guessing there will be a trip to Big City to see the baby soon.

We've had a good week.  The 4th of July always marks the halfway point of my summer.  Scary!  I have quite a few things I want to get done, yet.  The 4th reminds me to put some hustle on it!

What will I remember about this week?  Baxter and Laney playing tug-of-war with her burp cloth, making owl babies at the library, L having all the little ones say "Awwww Dad!!" at story time, walks with K, L, and the Bug, the unrelenting heat, free paint for the kindergarten teacher and the drama director, breakfast with the whole family at Cracker Barrel on the 4th, and impromptu fireworks watching parties.

We've had a good week.  Hope you have, too! Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Cousins said...

I have been seeing those at our antique store here in "The George" for a while! Believe me 69.00 is a steal....these are 125.00 and 160.00 and they have nothing with them either! J & I didn't have one BUT Kelly Nelson did...man was SHE LUCKY! I think the BUG needs that Coco Collette doll I sent you the link for last night myself! STAY COOL.....because YOU ARE!!LOVE you my CrAzY cousin!!!

joyce said...

I don't remember the metal ones but it looks remarkably similar to a cardboardy-wooden one my mom had in her daycare. My interest in dollhouses was creating them out of boxes and designing miniature furniture...didn't play much with them though. I still like miniatures, especially making them. One of these days I am going to make a stunner of a dollhouse, but then what will I do with it? Donate it I guess.