Sunday, July 8, 2012

Just Love Saturday Nights

West Point Nephew/Graduate called late last week.

Him:  Aunt Coco (yeah, he never calls me that anymore!), I'm having a cookout at the folk's house in Tiny Town. 

Me:  Oh, you are?

Him:  Yeah, time for the girlfriend's parents and Mom and Dad to meet.  Tiny Town is a good in-between spot.

Me:  Sounds great.

Him:  I might need to borrow Uncle Mr.'s lawn mower.  (Yeah, he never calls him that either!)

Me:  Sure. No Problem.  (The bulk of their house stuff is still in the hometown, waiting on their house to sell.)

Him:  Oh, and a grill....!

Me:  (At this point, I'm giggling.)  Sure.  Can I throw in some lawn chairs?

Him:  Would you?!  We're hoping you guys will come, too. I might finally get to meet the Bug.

Me:  We'd love to.  I'll talk to your mom about what I can bring.  I mean besides the mower, the grill, and the chairs.

Gosh, I love that kid.  He cracks me up.


The next day, this was the conversation:

Him:  Dad and I don't grill much.  Would Uncle Mr. be able to help?

Me:  Even better, let's talk CT into helping.  He loves grilling--and is darn near a pro.



Actually, CT really wanted to fry fish and onion rings, too; so, the guys grilled some fish, and chicken, too.  There were salads and some of CT's homemade banana nut ice cream and niece LC's dessert pizza.

In reality, they decided to haul their own mower and grill to Tiny Town, so all they needed was some lawn furniture, which we used inside because it was so darn hot.



My family finally got to meet WP nephew's girlfriend.  I had met her in NY for the graduation and knew they would like her.  She's adorable and quite personable.  LBB and SIL met her parents, too.  The Lady Bug got to spend some time with cousins and her Great Grandpa and Grandma B. I'm hoping WP nephew's girlfriend and her parents weren't too overwhelmed; they are such nice people.  

WP Nephew had a birthday on July 4th.  His sister LC did, too.  (Birthday twins, two years apart.)  And this year was LC's 21st.  So...there might have been Rum Slush to celebrate.  Oh, and a passing on of Easy Street's favorite drink recipes--along with a few stories to go with them.


It was just a nice evening, and in spite of the heat, it had all the makings of a celebration.

My kind of Saturday night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful time. Meeting families can be quite interesting. I am thankful my future DIL chose to stay around even after she met the B clan. (Truthfully, she still hasn't met them all!!)Cousin BJB

joyce said...

"THe Uncle Mr"...like it! Sounds like a family pow wow was had.