Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Out of the Mouths of Sophomores

My students had some essay questions that included one on leadership. (There were some interesting choices shared. I'll let you use your imagination. Think entertainment industry.)  I loved the sophomore who wrote that perhaps the Pope was the greatest leader of this generation because he leads by example. She went on to write of his humility, simplicity, and concern for the least among us. She gave great examples of all of those qualities.  I'm not Catholic, but I had to agree with my student.  This is a pretty terrific Pope.

And then, lest you think I am surrounded by thinkers, this question:

After hearing about a Tiny Town High student who received a full ride scholarship for a great ACT score, one sophomore said: "I get why they give scholarships to college for athletes, but why would they give them for academics?"  Completely. Serious.  It stopped me in my tracks.

*Sigh.  It can't all be good.

No comments: