Saturday, August 9, 2014

A Terrific Mixed Bag

Yesterday was a good day off.  Well, it was a mixed bag.

The downside:
I had the worst pedicure I've ever had.  There was a new nail tech at my salon.  She was out of it, almost operating asleep,--or she didn't have a clue, I'm not sure which.  When she  put the same things on my legs for the 2nd time, massaged one leg (never the foot) for about five minutes both times, massaged the other leg for about 10 seconds both times, didn't push back cuticles, scrub the heels or callouses, I knew it wasn't going to be good. The polish job looks like I did it. (And...that ain't good!) Yes, I used ain't! School hasn't started yet!

I always tip. Always.  Yesterday, I didn't.  But I did leave a "tip" for the owners of the salon. I wrote it out on a paper towel and handed it to them before I left. I have never done that , but I think they are going to lose customers unless that girl gets it together--and soon.

The saddest thing. Even a bad pedicure is worth it when I can sit in the massage chair with my feet soaking in warm water.  Pathetic, I know! 

The upside:
Then there was an 11:30 matinee of the movie Hundred Foot Journey.  It is the story of one family from India, the hardships they go through, and their experience bringing their cooking skills and Indian spices and recipes to France.  Besides the fact that the food and the sensory appreciation of the food is wonderful, I loved the family and neighbor relationships.  No major drama, adventure, craziness in this movie--just good people trying to make it in a new culture and the struggles that they endure there.  It is a soft spoken little movie, and  I really enjoyed it.

And the movie made up for the bad pedicure.

Today, the Mr. and I are celebrating our anniversary.  Well, the Mr. is at the dump.  Doesn't that sound like fun?  Actually, that isn't the celebration.  Actually, it isn't our anniversary either.  Well, not until Thursday, which happens to be the first day of school with students. (Not exactly anniversary celebrating material.)

Truthfully, we are headed to the farm for a bit after lunch and then making a trip to another town for the late afternoon and evening.  I'm not sure what we're doing, but I'm pretty sure there will be some shopping (Buggy has a birthday next week!), dinner, and maybe even a movie.  We shall see. 

Today's adventure is to make up for the fact that I am spending my anniversary with about 90 sophomores.  OK. It also is to make up for the fact that the Mr. will be celebrating his anniversary with a slightly stressed wife with tired feet and no voice.

Good times, people.  Good times.

No comments: