Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Catch Up Post #3: School year


This was a year. It was exhausting: successful, but exhausting.

English II classes did much better on State Assessments this year. There was quite an improvement. Of course, there is still plenty to do, but at least we are headed in the right direction.

Forensics students did great with several advancing to State Champs this year. I was so proud of their success. Next year, we are creating a forensics club that meets one Wednesday a month so we can touch base, practice, and set additional practice times for the performers not enrolled in Forensics class.
The top photos are my forensics girls.

The bottom left tells the real story of the four graduating senior boys in my advisory. The one with his eyes closed was my invisible student. I rarely saw him. The one licking the cakes...yeah, well after four years of him--- that doesn't even shock me. The two smiling on each side just sat back and let the other two go.

And the bottom right is my drama crew with my student teacher. There are five of them missing, but the photo is fairly representative of their personalities. (Oh, and the student teacher is the one with the basketball, shrugging as if he has no idea what to do. He only taught English, but he managed to spend quite a bit of time overseeing these crazy kids, too.)

Drama classes were quite busy at the end of the year: makeup, silent movies, and a mask making unit. Each unit was taught by Drama II students. Here are some of the results:
Special effects makeup was a hit. We were lucky to have quite a few supplies left from the Zombies in Apocalypse

They made the masks and then decorated them: the outside was how they think the world sees them and the insides were how they see themselves. It was an interesting project.

Now, they wouldn't be Drama students if they didn't try to push the boundaries. *sigh!
Next year's rules include:

1. Do NOT send your parent a picture of your fake wound without telling them it is makeup. One of the "gash-in-the-arm" girls sent the picture to her dad who was ready to rush to the hospital. Had he not been one of my former students who always pushed me to my limits, I might have had one angry parent to deal with. On speaker phone he told me, "Good one, Mrs. E! I suppose I deserved that one." Oh, and so much more. HOWEVER, his daughter was in real trouble.

2. No one removes an article of clothing without telling Mrs. E first. This rule results from a silent movie that was made. It was a great movie with interesting special effects, but when the main character disappeared leaving only a pile of clothes, I asked how they did that. He said, "Oh I just stripped down to my boxers and left my clothes in a pile."  Oh.no.you.didn't! But, yes. Yes, he did. ARGH!!!!!

3. When wearing your mask and letting it dry while walking the halls in a "trust walk," do not flip off a voice you hear. It just might turn out to be a teacher. Fortunately, a teacher with a good sense of humor, but never-the-less a teacher.  I no longer trust any of them! Ay yi yi!

Who knew I would be making rules like this? (Probably every drama teacher in America.)

And this is just one hour a day of my life. *sigh!

I probably haven't mentioned it, but Little Big Brother and I are directing the Fall All School Production this year. The musical. The principal and K, the assistant principal, asked (begged) and so here we go...!

We decided on A Christmas Carol, a show that would allow for singing and non singing roles. (We hated to lose all of our non-singing actors.) Christmas shows are known to bring in pretty good crowds. So this summer, I am immersed in all things Victorian Christmas. I guess there are worse ways to spend a summer. AND it also gives me job security when they find out what drama students have been up to on my watch.

Drama students are just a different breed. And now, so are their teachers... we're the ones with the gray hair. And if this keeps up, quite possibly a drinking problem! (Just kidding. I think.)

No comments: