Monday, August 6, 2018

Working At School

I set my alarm for school time today. Arrived at school by 8 and didn't leave until 4. That will probably be the norm for the rest of the week.

The air conditioning in my room wasn't working today. It was pretty steamy by afternoon. It will probably be better tomorrow. (More on that later.)

I moved a book shelf, a couple of chairs, a lamp, and a piano. (Well, I held the doors while the custodians moved the piano.) These are all set pieces, and I am using them for room decor and comfy seating. (Also to keep my stagecraft students from sawing or painting on the piano. Everything is a work bench to them.)

Now, you might wonder why the custodians were in my room. My ceiling is leaking again. They had to take my main classroom door off of its hinges and bring in the lift. (The 20 foot ceilings are a bit of a challenge.) They took the ceiling tiles off and discovered the leak is too far above the ceiling to repair. Then, they drove the lift off to other parts of the school. (District?) They did not replace my door, so my room is wide open. They are working on a Plan B.

I'd complain about all of this, but because my classroom is wide open, at least now I will have air conditioning drifting in from the hall. A perk, I guess. I'm anticipating a cooler day in Room 502 tomorrow.

No AC and a leaky roof. That sounds about right. Haven't found a dead lizard yet, so things could be worse.

Also normal? My room is a bigger wreck tonight than it was this morning.The bulletin board is off the wall. (The lift is a tight fit.) My trash cans and recycle bin are almost full. I cleaned out every cupboard and drawer back in July, and I'm throwing away quite a bit. My stage needs cleaned. I can't find my board cleaner. My rugs can't be placed on the stage until it is clean. Counter tops and desk tops are covered with things I need for the first days. (I just don't need them on the desks and/or counters.)

The down side of no door? (I mean besides the fact that everything is wide open.)  Now, everyone can see my mess. (I hope they aren't giving tours to any new students for the next few days.)

Yes. Everything seems about normal in Mrs. E's room.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Missed you this summer. Have a great school year.

Anonymous said...

The first of the year is always SO much fun! BJB