Thursday, May 28, 2009

Irony or Just Bizarre

I just interviewed for a part-time summer job in a bookstore not too far from our little town. In order to be hired, I have to take a drug test. I have been teaching in the public schools for 31 years, and this is my first drug test. So you can work with students and not be tested, but in order to work with books--you have to be drug free. Is it just me, or is this downright weird?! And better yet, why wouldn't the schools ever test me for drug use? I guess I'll go with my natural instinct--when you don't understand something, look for the money angle. (The schools wouldn't want to pay for the drug test, but the little bookstore is willing to fork over the $30! And that may speak volumes about priorities.)

6 comments:

Gayle said...

Wow, that is weird! I don't know if our district does drug testing on teachers, but I know they drug test the bus drivers. So, I would guess they test the teachers. I think. But a bookstore? Strange.

Mrs. E said...

I'm not complaining. I understand why any business would choose to drug test. I just don't understand why our schools aren't as concerned as businesses. I'm guessing our bus drivers are tested, too. (Not sure on that either!)

A said...

Ha ha ha! How funny! It is interesting that places drug test before hiring but then schools DON'T. I've never taken one...

Heidi said...

Hmm. It reminds me of the library job I interviewed for twice (and never got). The circulation check out person cannot, under any circumstances, answer questions about the books. She can only check them out to patrons. Apparently, you must have a masters degree in library science to answer book questions. (you must have a bachelors degree to get the circulation desk job) However, part of the interview included a 6 page test covering the dewey decimal system, popular books, famous people, historical events and dates, alphabetizing- you name it! You can tell patrons how much their fines are, though. Ah, the dirty work a liberal arts education will get ya...
Heidi

Mrs. E said...

Alicia, I thought it was just me because I'm so much older! Gads!!
Heidi, I can't even imagine that job. I think it may have been a blessing that you didn't get it. How can you NOT talk about books at the circulation desk?? Ah...sweet mystery of life!!

Puna said...

I was a substitute teacher for while and had to undergo a background check...you are right, why don't they do drug tests for teachers?