Wednesday, August 11, 2010

1st Graders and Sophomores

Yesterday was my last day at the pool.  I washed the chlorine out of my hair and my swimsuit for the last time.  And today I am headed down to school to work.

Getting ready for High School students is a bit different than what L is doing for her 1st graders.  I'll hook up the electronics and dust.  (Construction dust is everywhere!)  I've got copies to make and lessons to plan.  I may take down some posters and add some new ones to my walls. 

On the other hand, L spent yesterday and is spending today making home visits.  This is how her 1st graders find out who their teacher is.  The teachers go to each home, meet their 1st grader, and deliver a note and a goodie bag.  L said the kids are so excited that a whole neighborhood might have all their 1st graders sitting on the front step waiting to see which teacher will show up. Some of them are so excited they whoop and holler.

I was trying to imagine what my sophomores would do if I went around to their homes to introduce myself as their teacher for the year.  I can see being met with super soakers or eggs!  Somehow, I don't think I would get the squeals and hugs that L does!

My students will just have to save their groans and moans for the first day.  And I will spend the rest of the year trying to win them over to the idea that their communication skills will be the single biggest factor in determining their success in all areas of their lives.  It's a tall order.  I'm almost ready for the challenge again!

4 comments:

Kim said...

What a neat tradition for the 1st graders! And also for the teacher - all those eager little faces would help propel you from summer into the school year. But you're right: It wouldn't work for the old and jaded sophomores. Happy dusting (that's an oxymoron, I suppose.) So here's hoping all the connections work - electronics and otherwise!

Gayle said...

That is such a cute way to let the first graders know what teacher they have! Here, for all grades, we just get an email two weeks before school starts. Not as fun. I got a real laugh from picturing 10th grade teachers showing up at their students' houses!

Mary said...

That is so cool! I'd hate to be the teacher of the kid who saw me coming, then ran into the house bawling his/her eyes out because I was their teacher!

Katie (Can't Get There) said...

What an interesting idea...it would give the teacher an glimpse of the home life of each student, too. Not sure how I would feel about that as the parent! I think I'd be a nervous wreck! :)