Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Summer Began

I think the first day of summer had the nicest weather we've had since school has been out:  sunny, cool, and a light breeze.

And I spent the entire day inside at a conference on the Common Core Standards our state has adopted.  Just shoot me! 

On the up side, when I got home the Mr. grilled hamburgers and we spent supper hour on the back patio enjoying the weather.

I haven't run for several weeks, and finally my ankle feels stronger.  Last night I ran at the track.  Well, it might be more accurate to say that I tried to run.  I managed to run a lap, walked a lap and did stairs, ran a lap, and finished with walking and stairs.  It wasn't much, but it was a start. 

All this lovely weather, and today I am back at Day #2 of Common Core Standards.  I know that these new standards are going to force a major overhaul of our curriculum.  I'm pretty sure that we are going to have to  purchase new textbooks.  New assessments are sure to follow.  And the state has cut money to the schools.  The timing couldn't be worse. If I think about it too much, I will ruin my summer!

Yesterday was the first day of summer, and I am already thinking about classes next fall.  What is wrong with this picture?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

R.E.T.I.R.E.M.E.N.T.

Dandy said...

What a ucky way to spend the first days of summer! You are so very dedicated :)

Katie (Can't Get There) said...

I started running again after a few months off - I only got in 9 minutes before I had to take a break. That's okay - I will just bump up by three minutes each week and remind myself that 9 minutes is better than none!

Proud of you for getting out there and doing. Keep it up! :)

Ragamuffin Gal said...

You are my hero for even getting out there ~ I need to start running or even just walking. Today I saw this relaxed guy sitting at the library reading. And I thought "one summer I am going to relax and be more healthy" I think I'll start now. Have a wonderful week! ~ Katie

Relyn Lawson said...

BANG!!!!!!! No kidding about the meeting. UGH!