Friday, April 6, 2012

Mom's Easter Egg Salad

What do you do with all those hard boiled Easter eggs?  Mom always turned some of them into Easter Egg Salad for our Easter dinner.  (At least, that's what we called it.)  It is one of my favorite salads.

You make a normal tossed salad:  lettuce, onions, green peppers, etc.  I don't think it really matters what you put in it.  Then you peel and chop up 3 or 4 Easter eggs and add them to your lettuce.  You can do more if you have a bigger salad.

Now, it gets a bit more tricky.  This recipe isn't written down, so I don't know measurements.  I make the salad dressing by guess and by golly.  And I have experimented quite a bit to make it taste like Mom's.

These are the ingredients:

Mayo or Miracle Whip  (1/2- 3/4 c.)
Mustard  (Maybe a tablespoon)  The dressing will be yellow.
Sugar  (A tablespoon or two)  This is kind of a sweet dressing.
Vinegar  (Maybe a tablespoon)
Milk (I have no idea--until it becomes thinned out enough to poor over the salad and toss.  Maybe 1/4 c.)

Mix this all together with a whisk. 

Add the dressing to your bowl of salad and toss.  Serve immediately.
 
All measurements are approximate.  Yes, I'm guessing!  I don't measure.  My mom didn't either.

I really am my mother's daughter.
Easter 1960
I would be the little one in the middle.
(I've posted this before.  It is a favorite Easter picture.)

3 comments:

cel g said...

What a great family photo!

Kim said...

I love the photo! Happy Easter to you and yours!

holybovine said...

Love the photo! Love the complete family! (No little sister yet?) This sounds very close to the dressing Mom uses on her potato salad. Except she used sweet pickle juice instead of vinegar. Never thought of using it on lettuce salad. Yum! Have a Happy Easter!