Friday, May 31, 2013

Five for Friday

Favorites of the week:

*Cleaning up the trees and shrubs in the backyard.  (Thanks Little Big Brother for the chainsaw and clipper use!  And for lending a hand.)

*New bird feeders to hang in branches-- that we can now see.  Here are two of them.

The first one I made from a 2 liter bottle and a pencil.  Quite stylish and classy. No? 
The second one is made from an old pencil/pen holder.  There is a piece of plasticware (the Bug's applesauce container?) and then a votive candle holder on top.  I filled the votive with grape jelly.  Sweet SIL tells me Orioles will come if grape jelly is an option.  (If you build it, they will come!)
I forgot to mention the tres chic kabob stick as a roost.  Now that you've seen these two, you'll just have to imagine the Maxwell House Coffee lid nailed to the top of the bat house (no bats call it home, but just in case...) with the spoiled cherries for the birds to enjoy.  I haven't captured a photo of that beauty yet.  I know what you're thinking: her creativity knows no bounds-- or something like that!

*The discovery of the old green shutters that used to be on the house.  I'm thinking I might be able to use them in creating the Emerald City skyline next fall.  How?  I don't know.  I'll think about that tomorrow, said Scarlett.  My brain has been used up with bird feeders!

*Rain.  We've had a couple of inches.  All my plants have perked right up.  (Well, except the one that is drowning.  Darn flower pot!)

*Texts, Facebook, and Instagram for keeping up with family.  Catching up with Little Sis and the California nieces- potty training stories and new houses and cars, another niece making it home from Austria, her counterpart visiting all kinds of awesome places in Europe, and a nephew turning 21. (OK.  He might have told me not to follow him on Twitter for a week or so. Smart boy!)  These things make the world a bit smaller, and the people I love seem a lot closer.

And those are My Favorites this Friday.  Care to share yours?




No comments: