Sunday, January 4, 2009

Back to school tomorrow

I have to set the alarm and get up early tomorrow. No more lazy days of snoozing late. No more movie marathons, time with the girls, or reading at the bookstore. Back to school I go! My room will be filled with sophomores who aren't ready to trade their late nights for early mornings or their movie marathons for homework. I have to confess that I will be glad to get back into a routine of running early on dark streets, planning the day's activities, grading papers, watching games, and enjoying the friendly banter of a classroom full of 16 year olds.

This picture shows the demolition work done over break on our old school. The large empty space is where my classroom, my hallway, and my sophomore's hallway and lockers used to be. For twenty-seven years that was my home away from home for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and 9 months of every year. About a hundred sophomores a year poured into that room. Tomorrow, I will face about 70 students in a modular classroom that will have to do for a few years. It doesn't feel as enduring as the brick and mortar, but the students are just as endearing. I'm concentrating on that.

2 comments:

A said...

I just cannot believe that the school is gone. It doesn't seem possible. The thought of it makes me want to cry... A place I thought I'd always be able to come back to to remember some of my favorite moments of my high school days. I guess I always thought I'd bring my kids back someday for class reunions. I'd be able to tell them all about the funny things we did, all the crazy/silly ideas we had, all the dreams we dreamt, all the friendships I made, the learning that took place...

When do they start actually building the new school?

Mrs. E said...

I'm not sure when the construction will begin...early summer maybe. I'll be keeping you posted! PS. I still remember you & Nicole getting in trouble for putting pickles on the glass in Ms. Stout's door!