Saturday, August 15, 2009

On writing, movies, and grape slushes

The Mr. and I went to dinner and a movie last night. (We come from a long line of romantics. Can't you tell?) My parent's anniversary was during harvest. When Dad took the last load of the day into town, Mom would join him and they would stop for a grape slush at Dairy Queen. Quite the celebration. (I remember Dad bringing home grape juice one year and making grape slushes in the blender. I don't remember if Mom was sick or what, but the slush had become a tradition by then.)

After dinner, we took in the movie "Julie and Julia." I knew it was about Julia Childs, but I didn't realize that it was about bloggers, too. They captured the thrill of the comments and followers, the backlash of employees and family. (Thankfully, I don't think I have crossed any line for backlash to occur. And I'd like to keep it that way, thanks!) Meryl Streep was worth the price of the ticket. It was wonderful to see Julia Child's life in Paris contrasted with Julie Powell's life in Queens. This is one of the most enjoyable movies I have seen in awhile. (Yeah, and all that good food made me hungry, too!)

I don't think I need to hold my breath waiting for this blog to capture the attention of newspapers and magazines. I'm a little too random for that. But I like writing--and if someone is actually reading it, well that is even better!

7 comments:

Gayle said...

I think that is so sweet that your mom and dad would go for a grape slush on their anniversary, and that he made them at home one year!

I'll add Julie and Julia to our Netflix list!

And, we're reading! I always look forward to your posts!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh now I have to see this movie. I wanted to, anyway, but now since I know blogging has a role in the plot, I'm def. going!

christina said...

This movie is on my list. Grape slush sounds so sweet. We had DQ today, yum! It's a midwest thing, correct? : ) Don't remember it anywhere else I have lived!
xo

Heidi said...

Oh, you know we're reading you, Mrs. E. Love it here!

Does it scare me that we're so alike? Not a bit. I think it very interesting.

I seem to have a "twilight zone" thing with 2nd Cup Lid, too. It's weird. Even recently, she couldn't sleep, so got up and wrote- same night I couldn't sleep and got up and wrote- in a notebook- that I cannot find now.

Pugelicious said...

Love Meryl Streep too - sounds like a great night. I wish I had more time to do that with my Hubby - perhaps when my Son gets a bit older.

ELK said...

big night on the town...sounds my mr & me!

Relyn Lawson said...

I have GOT to go see this. Soon.