Saturday, February 19, 2011

New Things

The latest new things:

*McDonald's Oatmeal.  I love this one.  The diced apples and the dried cranberries and golden raisins were a bonus.  I hope some of the other fast food places catch on and add some healthy alternatives, too. 

*Neti Pot.  My cousins told me about this one.  I'd seen it on a news show. The water in the pot goes in one nostril and comes out the other. It is like a little car wash for your sinuses.  The verdict is still out on this one.  I think it takes some getting used to.  

*Laryngitis.  It has been interesting.  L thinks I sound like a cartoon character.  (The Mr. insisted on letting me 'talk' to her on the phone.  She had a fit!) 

*School lunches.  Our cooks have begun making small chef salads in sandwich size to-go containers.  For $1.25, this might be the best lunch bargain around.  I don't even have to have a lunch ticket because they sell them in the a la carte line.

*Hot spiced tea a la "Mrs. E" style.  Mom used to make hot spiced tea when I had a cold.  It wasn't the powdered form, though that will do in a pinch.  She made it with orange juice, lemonade, tea, cinnamon sticks and/or cloves.  I'm not exactly sure what was in her recipe.  I just know it was wonderful!  Soooo... I mix orange juice and lemonade and heat the mixture in the microwave.  Warm drinks soothe the throat, and it gives me a healthy dose of vitamin C.  It isn't Mom's, but it is still pretty darn good.

*Finally, the Mr. and I have a date to a college basketball game today.  I go to watch the people.  Obviously, I won't be cheering.

On the other hand, I have been doing a little silent cheering.  (This no voice thing stinks!)  The Mr. made reservations for spring break.  He is taking me skiing again.   And the happy dances have begun!

7 comments:

Mary said...

When we were out for a week in Jan. because of the snow, I walked down to my parents' house and mom made me a cup of "friendship" tea (aka spiced tea). Wonderful!
I wouldn't be able to go to ANY sporting event and not cheer...even if I didn't have a voice! Hope you feel better soon!

Relyn Lawson said...

I'm still without my voice, too. It's odd. I keep teaching, but as the day goes on, I get quieter and quieter till I am at a whisper. I think it's adorable the way the kids all whisper, too. That Neti pot - ICK! I know it's good for you - great for you, in fact. But - ICK!

Relyn Lawson said...

Oh, I meant to say, "Feel better soon!"

Anonymous said...

I'm telling you the Neti-pot is better than Skiing!!! AND...IF GOD wanted raisins he would have made them and NOT grapes...raisins are the devils food!!! Mom (Your Aunt C) used to make oatmeal for us and put raisins in it.....I think we should have turned her into social services! Hugs to you my CrAzY CoUsIn!! Love ya, Ree

Beth said...

I've wondering about the neti pot. Let me know how you continue to feel about it.
I'll have to remember that hot drink, but I hope I don't need to use it.:)
Hope your voice comes back soon!

Anonymous said...

When I was at the Dr.last week for a lingering sinus infection, she told me to use a Neti pot. The pharmacist suggested "Nasopure". It works the same way, but no tilting the head. I use it in the shower and it works quite well (kind of strange getting used to it, though). Hope you get to feeling better soon. It's no fun!! BJB

Katie (Can't Get There) said...

Skiing! Oh that Mr. must love you a lot! ;) So excited for you!