Monday, May 9, 2011

Sweet Treasures

I've been having a trip down Memory Lane.  I finally unearthed the box of baby clothes that I put away 25 years ago.

Everything is so tiny.  It is hard to imagine that the girls were ever that small.

Even I was surprised by the things I kept.  I knew I had put each girl's christening gown away, but there were sweet little bonnets and handmade booties.  There was a pair of black patent leather Mary Janes for a newborn.

I found a yellow dotted Swiss dress that my great Aunt Audrey sent to K, and the pink cotton dress that she sent to L.  The little white sweater that Mom gave to K for her 2nd Easter was packed away.  Somehow, Mom knew the weather would be a bit chilly for the little sundress I had purchased.

There was a beautiful pink crocheted blanket that my Aunt Bettie and Uncle Bob sent L, and the sweet pink and green quilt given to her by a colleague.

Aunt Shirley had made a quilt for each girl, but I didn't put them with the baby things as K and L were still using them in early Elementary School.  They are still stored and ready to be "re-gifted" to the grandchildren. 

There's a sailor dress, a yellow striped "Lucy Van Pelt" (Charlie Brown fame) dress, a couple of Christmas gowns, and some birthday dresses. 

I found the baby afghan that I started the summer before K was born in November and didn't finish until shortly after her birth.  (I was honestly afraid that I'd be working on it when she went to kindergarten!)

Each girl had a t-shirt created by former students.  K's was a pink MHS Debater shirt.  (I used to coach debate.)  L's had a Tiny Town Mascot shirt with her name on the back.  I'm thinking there are some Cabbage Patch dolls that may sport new togs.

There was a musical ball with K's name on it.  My sister-in-law at the time of K's birth was in extremely poor health.  She had ordered it, and she gave it to K when we visited her several months after K was born.  I had forgotten all about it until I heard music coming from the box as I lugged it upstairs.  It is a sweet memory of my dear niece's mom.

I found a pink gingham bib made by cousin J, and an adorable dress (trimmed in lavender) that her sister Ree gave K. (See Ree!  You knew what college she would choose--even then!)

That box was nothing short of a treasure chest.  And yes, it made me a bit teary.  So many gifts came from people who aren't with us any more.  I am reminded of how big of a hole they leave in my life.  And I miss those little girl days in sweet dresses:  the snuggles and thumb sucking, and rocking to sleep.

Just think, in August I will get to enjoy those days again--with a little girl who will look adorable in her Mom's frilly dresses and wrapped in the love of several generations of family and friends.

2 comments:

Kim said...

What fun to unpack memories of loved ones along with the frilly dresses and mementos!

Cousin A said...

I have a big box packed away of things that the Aunties gave me when I was a baby (even still have the cards from my baby shower in 1972!). And I've now got a big box of things that the Aunties and Cousins gave/made me when my babies were born. Isn't it just wonderful to be in this family?