Sunday, January 22, 2012

Living in the country

I don't live in the country these days.  I live in Tiny Town on a dead end street.  We're the only house on that street.  Out behind us is nothing but pasture. So, even though we live in town--it is kind of like living in the country, too. 

Besides having to back down the hill, this was a great place to raise kids.  (And they both learned to back really well!) The girls could play in the yard and out back with no worry of traffic.  They raised bucket calves in a small pen in the pasture.  (The pasture owner is a very nice man!) 

This morning while I was looking out the kitchen window, I saw three deer jump over the back fence into our yard.  I moved to another window to see where they were headed.  I finally stepped out on our front porch and took a few pictures of them.  They didn't bat an eye.  Yep!  Still kind of like living in the country.

After lunch, I made a trip to the farm which really is out in the country and about twelve miles from the nearest town. Yesterday was Dad's birthday, so I ran out for the afternoon.  The Mr. had to work, so he missed the trip out to see the beaver dam. They've built a nice little dam on the creek.  I'd like to see them in action sometime.

We drove down to my grandparents old farmstead, through the creek and pastures.  It reminded me how nice it was to ride bikes or run on those roads when I was a kid. I think if I lived on any other street, I'd be really homesick for the farm.  The deer, wild turkeys, and even the red foxes in our front yard on Easy Street make me feel right at home.

Tonight, I took Baxter for a walk in Tiny Town.  It was eerie:  misty and dark on the streets.  We walked in the middle of the street because no one else was out.  Our walk might have been on a country road. 

And when we got home, Baxter looked like he had been walking on dirt roads.  He was filthy.  Chasing leaves is dirty work.  He had to have a bath to remove some of the "country" he brought home with him.

Now if I could only talk the Mr. into wood heat, it really would be like home.  There's almost nothing better than curling up by a wood burning stove on a cold day.  That's one part of the country that I still miss on Easy Street.


No comments: