Sunday, February 5, 2012

Gone...Hope Not Forgotten

I am still here.  Easy Street is still in one piece. 

This is what I've been up to:

Play Practices from 6:00-8:30 at least two to three nights a week.  We also had a small Saturday morning practice. (A lot of lines were memorized!)

Ball games and some wrestling events.  It is the end of winter sports. Our new mascot design is being announced at this Friday's game. 

Running.  Or in my case, wogging. (Walk +jog)  I also walk Baxter almost every night. 

Grading research papers.  I kind of want to shoot myself.  I have always given the students a chance to revise, but I don't think I will this year.  I'm not sure why I should give extra points for going back and capitalizing the first word of a sentence (like they haven't heard this since they started school), or for going back and actually using the spell checker, or for putting in the citations that they were supposed to do in the first place. I am frustrated.  It takes almost 30 minutes per paper, which means I need 40 hours of total grading time. That isn't easy to find. I've made a small dent.

I am spending a lot of time trying to get the same students ready for the State Reading Assessment.  The quality of these papers has me freaking out a bit!  I keep looking for new ways to teach the concepts, plus figuring out how to incorporate some of the Core Standards our state is switching to.

Add in the fact that I am still having computer problems, and well....!

On the upside...

The Bug gets a little time once in awhile.  She's coming to stay with Nana Coco& her Papa this weekend.
Think I'll get much grading done?  Yeah.  Neither do I.




8 comments:

Beth said...

Oh, you have made me feel so much better! It's soooo good to know it takes someone else that long to grade each paper and that I'm not the only one to give extra credit for stuff they should know already! Why will they not use spell check?! And how about 'u' for 'you' and 'i' for 'I'?
Hang in there! I'm crunching toward test time also and we're working in new standards too.
And my grandkids got my attention this week, so I'm beginning the week behind on grading. But I'm happier for spending the time with my son and kids and talking to my daughter in Texas and hearing the soon to be one yr. old Abby.
Here's to a good week!:>)

Anonymous said...

OK....I'll BITE the bullet and keep Ladybug for you...(I'll keep MY man too!)!!! AND YOU can use all the RED ink you want! Love you my CrAzY CoUsIn!!!

Kim said...

Good luck with all the papers and the play, Mrs. E. The Bug is definitely changing! I get to go see our baby this week and babysit a couple of days so Jill can go to a work conference (though she isn't back to work full-time until the end of the month). I can tell from photos our little girl has changed a bunch, too, so I can hardly wait to see the changes in person. You are blessed to live in the same town!!

holybovine said...

Good to "hear" from you again. Have fun this weekend!

puna said...

Good for you. Kids will need to learn the difference because grace and responsibility. Little Bug is getting so big!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you get to keep Ladybug this weekend. Enjoy your time with her. The papers will wait. BJB

Dandy said...

How could you get anything done with that cutie around?!

40 hours of grading research papers. Ouch.

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

Wow you are super busy Mrs E at the moment - hope you are having some time to relax as well!

Enjoy Little Bug - I love to see her pictures!