Thursday, October 20, 2011

National Writing Day 2011

I asked my students to answer the question, "Why do we write?"  Their answers...

Because you make me. (Knew that one was coming!)
To express myself
To inform or persuade
To entertain  (or at least entertain myself)
To show appreciation
To keep my mouth from saying it!  (Gotta love the kid!)
To organize myself
To stay in touch with friends
To make money  (I hope they remember to share!)
For therapy
To put it out there  (Looking at Facebook--sometimes I wish they wouldn't!)
To make sure my voice doesn't get lost
To complain
So they know I was here
So I don't forget
The paper always listens
Because you make me  (It bears repeating.  I'm guessing half of them said it; the other half were probably thinking it.)

As usual, interesting thoughts from teenagers: wise and funny.

Happy Writing!





2 comments:

Puna said...

For the record - I write for all those reasons and more:)

Melonie said...

I think one of the biggest reasons I write is for the reflection aspect. Also interpretations. Once we are able to re-read our thoughts it can become clear that the situation may not be as it would seem. Our first reaction to a situation may change as your attitude is open to more insight allowing us to see that our intital interpretation may not be as it would first appear. Therefore, allowing us to be more open minded and accepting to others.