Thursday, December 29, 2011

2011 In Review

This was a year of highs and lows.  The highs were higher than most years, and the lows were lower, too.

January-
*Left Trailer High behind and moved into a beautiful new building.

*The Mr.'s Mom died on January 17th, leaving a gaping hole in our lives:  the day to day phone calls and all the holidays. We miss her so.
 
February-
I could finally announce that we were going to be grandparents.

Love, love, love my new room and Tiny Town High!
March-
Tiny Town Sophomores made the State Standard of Excellence in Reading again.  Whew!
I returned to the ski slopes for the first time since the stroke.  Heaven!

April-
One of my students was diagnosed with an aggressive pediatric bone cancer.
Our beautiful new church was dedicated.

K interviewed and accepted a job as the assistant principal of the 10-12 building in J-town.
L interviewed and accepted a job in a city several hours away.
The Mr. ended up scaring me to death by being admitted into ICU for a day or two.

We learned the new grandchild would be a girl!
May-
The Mr. had surgery to remove his gall bladder.
My old hometown church was deconsecrated, and they closed the doors forever.
 My student faced 18 chemo treatments and the loss of his hair.
The annual family camp out was held at the farm. California Sis and family attended. Her first grandchild made her first trip to the Midwest!
June-
Found me back at the RV pool:  cleaning and reading mainly.
K, L, and I took a trip to Big City to visit a memorial exhibit of the late Princess Diana.
Two funerals:  a long-time Chapman "Grandpa" and my great aunt R.
A two-day conference on the Core Standards.
The 3rd anniversary of the tornado

July-
The Mr. and I continued attending Summer Music Theater.
Unbearably hot temperatures
We moved L down a flight of stairs in U town and up 3 flights in Big City.
The last Harry Potter movie came out.  So sad to see it end.

August-
An in-state vacation weekend
A baby shower for the Lady Bug
The new Superintendent began.
August 16th- Our Lady Bug arrived--healthy and beautiful!

School began.
K had a setback or two.

September-
Lady Bug's 1st Tiny Town Labor Day celebration
L loves her new job, but hates missing out on the Bug.  
Held auditions for the school musical
An old coaching friend died unexpectedly.
K and CT celebrate their 1st Anniversary.

October-
Lady Bug's Baptism
K returns to work--and starts her Assistant Principal job--finally!
I missed U town football games- the Mr. was on his own
Play practices continued
An all-school Lip Dub video for YouTube
Had the house painted

November-
Directing my first show dominated the month
 
Students performed a Flash Mob of the "Varsity Drag" at lunch--which was a hit!
The show was a success- and probably would have been without my worrying.
The Mr.'s dear aunt died- the last of that generation.
My early Christmas present-- an iPhone!

December-
Candy making tradition continues--only with a different Grandma: me.
A snow/ice day postpones the last day of finals until the first day of the new year.
Lady Bug's 1st Christmas
 
A new great niece was born in California.
__________________________________________________________________
I wouldn't have missed the good times of this past year for anything.  I'm sure this will be a year that I remember.  There were some milestones that won't easily be forgotten.

That's 2011 on Easy Street.  At least, a shortened version.  Yes, I'm humming "Auld Lang Syne" and wondering what 2012 will hold.

4 comments:

Kim said...

It was quite a year, wasn't it?! I suppose life is always a compilation of highs and lows. It's how we respond to them all that makes the difference. Wishing you and yours many more wonderful memories and blessings in 2012!

Anonymous said...

What a great post, Nana Coco! Love you!

Anonymous said...

What....No red suspenders, messed up angelfood cake OR lightbulbs breaking?? THREE of MY highlights...getting to see you TWICE in ONE year...meeting Laney Sue AND the BEST.....seeing photos of MY MAN (in bed no less!)!!! Love you my CrAzY CoUsIn!!! HaPpY 2012!!! Ree

Steve Gravano said...

What a beautiful smile on Lady Bug in the Santa photo, she is one adorable baby. God bless you and your family and may 2012 be Happy and Healthy!