Saturday, October 1, 2022

Retirement and the 1st Nine Weeks of School

I began the 22-23 school year in the Ozarks on a girls weekend with two high school friends. We went on a boat ride, had drinks at a lakeside bar, and spent a lot of time catching up. I caught up with the grandkids on the phone to find out how their days had gone. I didn't miss my classroom or teaching at all. I think my replacement (former student) summed it up best: "I had no idea teaching was such hard work. My teachers made it look so easy. I am exhausted every night." So true. It is nice not to be exhausted.

The rest of that trip involved a winery with a pool, tons of games of scrabble, and lots of '70's music. It was relaxing and so much fun. Now, I am ready for a trip with the Mr. (Plans are in the works.)

Once I was home again with school in session, I found I missed my colleagues and former students. It is always good to run into one of them and catch up. 

After teaching 2 1/2 years during Covid and never having it, I was stunned when the Mr. came down with Covid on Labor Day and I got it a few days later. It wasn't much fun, though mainly like a bad cold. Sometimes, I don't have much stamina, and I wonder if it is a lingering symptom of the disease. It is finally getting a little better. 

I have loved having time to spend with grandkids. When K and CT both came down with Covid, we kept the two girls a couple of nights, took them to school and picked them up after, and were able to make a few runs for things they needed. I spent Friday with L and E. E's school was out for Parent/Teacher conferences, so we met halfway and walked at a lake, shopped for books, and enjoyed lunch. I was also able to help out with the little girls on an inservice day and helped them make an anniversary present for their parents. I know if I had been teaching, none of these things would have happened. 

So what else have I been doing? Thursday morning coffees with other retired women in town, reading, and subbing. I am NOT subbing in classrooms, but for the librarian and the library aide. I hated when the library was closed when they were absent, so I told them to let me know and I would fill in. I have spent a few days in the high school library in the morning and the middle school library in the afternoon. I check books in and out and re-shelve them. Quite a few former students and colleagues will stop in to see me. It is good to catch up. Mainly, I find myself reading. Shocker! Now, that Covid seems to be over in our corner of Tiny Town, I plan to spend a few days with Dad. Again, none of these things would have happened if I had been teaching. 

Oh, and the Mr. and I have started swimming at the YMCA five mornings a week. He water walks, and I tread water. (My shoulders are shot, and I can mainly use my legs for treading water.) 

So far, retirement is quite enjoyable. 

                                                                         Girls Weekend     

Our view in the Ozarks.

We were fairly competitive and had a ton of laughs.

We made grandparents day with the girls. 
Notice the masks in hand. (This was shortly after Covid.)
Walking partners while E's little sis was in school. 

I think it is safe to say that I was ready for retirement. I am finally feeling relaxed and rested. After 40+ years, I'd say it is time. 


No comments: